3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

STS project

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 03:12 PM
tk04hemi
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh yea i forgot to mention i decided to switch to 4.10s. i dont see the need or funds to replace wheels anytime soon, let alone a lift, so i dont feel like driving going 60 at like 2200 plus i dont mind the gearing now or want to kill my top end. 4.10s it is

Old 11-06-2009, 04:42 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lol, how much top end do you need? It's a truck as aerodynamic as a barn door. Build it for acceleration.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:58 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Folks, I have a question. How do Turbo kits compare to Supercharger kits for day to day driving? Costs? Performance? engine life? driveability? What I have seen both kits run about $5-6k to install. I have been told less than 8lbs boost stock engines are strong enough for street trucks.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Jonhyboi
Veteran

^^^ same thing what I heard..

Old 11-08-2009, 01:15 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned

As long as you're willing to keep it that low, then yes, it should be fine. But.........who ever does? Horsepower is addictive. It'll get turned up a little. Then a little more. A little more. Then just enough and BOOM. As long as you're willing to keep it at a nice low boost level (and leave it alone) then it should be fine.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kennyhemi told me that about 3-5 PSI is about the max you should go on a stock block with no tuning....

You will need an open tuner that supports custom tunes
More than likely, you will need larger injectors.

Keep this thread up man. You are doing what I dream about. I'm hoping to be doing the same thing you are doing on an 09 fairly soon.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Jonhyboi
Veteran

Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
As long as you're willing to keep it that low, then yes, it should be fine. But.........who ever does? Horsepower is addictive. It'll get turned up a little. Then a little more. A little more. Then just enough and BOOM. As long as you're willing to keep it at a nice low boost level (and leave it alone) then it should be fine.
that is so true. a buddy have mine has a prelude an keep tunning the boost more an more.. till his piston shot out an went threw his hood..

Old 11-09-2009, 06:51 AM
tk04hemi
Professional

well I am not worried about anything like the issues you are talking about. I will be able to run a solid 8lb anyway that is the point of this thread. My turbo will come with injectors, a custom tune, the works. Until them I am looking at reinforcing internals . I have been reading into domed pistons for this truck but cannot really find any that suit my needs. I know in every car I have built or dealt with we always use some fat domed pistons for boost apps and the only one I find for the ram is for low boost like 2-3lbs. But as of late I am already set on the rocker and the manley package from moes. Maybe a cam if the funds show up. Definately gears and tq verter w possible valve body. As far as the tranny goes, my buddy with a procharged slammed 1500 got a shift kit made for 750hp from krc. I feel that probably isn't very necessary, but what is the deal with these transmissions performance wise? Is a transgo sufficient with a new tq verter or what?

Old 11-09-2009, 06:57 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by Jonhyboi
that is so true. a buddy have mine has a prelude an keep tunning the boost more an more.. till his piston shot out an went threw his hood..
the piston went UP? through the head and the hood? he musta REALLY f'd up

Old 11-09-2009, 12:05 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned

Originally Posted by tk04hemi
well I am not worried about anything like the issues you are talking about. I will be able to run a solid 8lb anyway that is the point of this thread. My turbo will come with injectors, a custom tune, the works. Until them I am looking at reinforcing internals . I have been reading into domed pistons for this truck but cannot really find any that suit my needs. I know in every car I have built or dealt with we always use some fat domed pistons for boost apps and the only one I find for the ram is for low boost like 2-3lbs. But as of late I am already set on the rocker and the manley package from moes. Maybe a cam if the funds show up. Definately gears and tq verter w possible valve body. As far as the tranny goes, my buddy with a procharged slammed 1500 got a shift kit made for 750hp from krc. I feel that probably isn't very necessary, but what is the deal with these transmissions performance wise? Is a transgo sufficient with a new tq verter or what?
These transmissions are crap, I intend to put either a 48RE or a Sharadon trans in eventually.

Quick Reply: STS project