3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

STS project

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Jonhyboi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
the piston went UP? through the head and the hood? he musta REALLY f'd up
oh yeah. he was running on 15lbs of boost. rebuilt his prelude all back to stock, just an intake an exhaust is in it now. well he had to buy a new hood to. lol

Old 11-09-2009, 06:04 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

that's unreal. I can't even understand how that would happen, pin lets go maybe? Though I have heard of a competitor locomotive that shot a piston out of the engine, out of the hood, and into the roof of someone's house. How would you like to look up and see a 60+ lb piston poking through your ceiling?

Old 11-09-2009, 09:24 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This kid I work with has this beater POS Honda (it's a death trap, I don't even know what model it is). He just kind of throws things at it, like the current paint job. Then came the Integra engine and brakes. He finally got his hands on a turbo kit to complement the well used intercooler he's been dying to install. So he installs EVERYTHING yesterday, not knowing for sure if it was going to get him to work (no calling in sick in the military). It ran (sorta), blowing off the regulator line AND the lube oil supply line to the turbo in the process....did I mention it's the stock computer, too?

Old 11-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Jonhyboi
Veteran

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
that's unreal. I can't even understand how that would happen, pin lets go maybe? Though I have heard of a competitor locomotive that shot a piston out of the engine, out of the hood, and into the roof of someone's house. How would you like to look up and see a 60+ lb piston poking through your ceiling?
We don't know. I guess its one of those "freak accidents". Thats why I'm scared to run a high lbs in mine truck if I got a s/c or a turbo..

I would think UPS air would have a new way of delivering LOL.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:15 PM
FrostKing
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, you can sell your headers too because they will actually hurt you running a turbo. 5 psi will be the max without meth/water injection so be sure to budget for a kit as well.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Jonhyboi
Veteran

Originally Posted by FrostKing
Well, you can sell your headers too because they will actually hurt you running a turbo. 5 psi will be the max without meth/water injection so be sure to budget for a kit as well.
they do? why is that?

Old 11-11-2009, 07:38 PM
RawRam2006
Veteran

Rear mount Turbo systems don't mind headers. N as for the water/methanol injection, wouldn't a big intercooler take care of that? IDK, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.......

Old 11-12-2009, 10:21 AM
tk04hemi
Professional

How does it make sense that headers would ever have a negative effect on a turbo? And anyone recommend a performance fuel pump? I think mine might be going, I know hella makes a good one.

Anyone recommend a really good mild cam? I might look into them since I will be going internal anyway, well see though. I have a nice savings account titled Boosted hah

Old 11-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Jonhyboi
Veteran

Originally Posted by tk04hemi
How does it make sense that headers would ever have a negative effect on a turbo? And anyone recommend a performance fuel pump? I think mine might be going, I know hella makes a good one.

Anyone recommend a really good mild cam? I might look into them since I will be going internal anyway, well see though. I have a nice savings account titled Boosted hah
lol bout to start saving, once I get my bmw project started. or atleast an engine in it.. Why can't this stuff be cheap. Lol

Old 11-12-2009, 07:57 PM
FrostKing
Professional

Originally Posted by RawRam2006
Rear mount Turbo systems don't mind headers. N as for the water/methanol injection, wouldn't a big intercooler take care of that? IDK, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.......
Anything short of the absolute best quality headers will start cracking and falling apart in short order from the intense heat and pressure they were not designed for. Headers also have a ton more surface area to dissipate heat and much higher volume than manifolds that will cause a ton of turbo lag. I still highly recommend water/meth injection. The kits are not very expensive compared to the total bill. 5 psi will shoot EGTs past 1400*F with no water and goodbye stock pistons.

Quick Reply: STS project