3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bottom bumper piece

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 12:17 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bottom bumper piece

So I have the sport model with the matched bumper, and the bumper is just MASSIVE in my opinion, and I also don't like that kind of greyish black piece on the bottom of the bumper, I know its there to make my truck more aerodynamic, but hell, my truck is already lifted with 35's, how aerodynamic can it get? So I was wondering, has anyone cut that piece off and how hard was it, because it seems like on the sport model its actually a part of the bumper, not just bolted on.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:19 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

bump??

Old 11-05-2009, 08:47 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

idk on the sport. On mine its 6 bolts ????? ish and 4 big clips that are part of the black piece.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:07 AM
Brado34
Veteran

im not sure. but if you cut it off and its still useable il take it off your hands?

Old 11-06-2009, 12:21 AM
i-love-my-dodge

I have cut alot of them off the sports at work because they usually come in broken. Not hard to do, I use a 3 inch cut off wheel.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:31 AM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

I dont think it will be useable, it looks like I am going to have to cut it off, is there a good smooth way to get it off that will leave it smooth and not look like I cut it off like a redneck idiot...

Old 11-06-2009, 07:44 AM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 98cherryram
I dont think it will be useable, it looks like I am going to have to cut it off, is there a good smooth way to get it off that will leave it smooth and not look like I cut it off like a redneck idiot...
I would just paint it to match the rest of your truck.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:48 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've read a lot on this topic on a more "performance oriented" forum. That lower piece is not only there for aerodynamics but for optimum air flow to the radiator as well. (I know, it's hard to believe this plastic piece at the bottom of the truck effects engine cooling, but more than one performance guru has stated this).

I do know a couple of guys who've removed theirs, usually necessitated by off-road mishaps. None have reported a cooling issue that I'm aware of, but just the same, you need to think about this before simply cutting it off thinking it's only removing a cosmetic item...

Old 11-06-2009, 02:07 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

I have read about the engine cooling of this piece as well, and I do believe that is the truth, I also live in a state that even at its hottest it isn't extremely hot, and I also read that both the aerodynamics, and the engine cooling are lost once you lift the truck and I lifted mine already, I would paint it to match the truck, but I want the look of more clearance. I hear that that piece becomes most effective when you lower your vehicle, and becomes less so when you lift it...

Now of course, what I have heard could be wrong... but Ive also never had any single cooling issue with any vehicle I have ever had, and I removed that lower piece on my old pickup and I believe that these newer trucks are pretty well built and that it would take more than the loss of that lower piece to overheat the engine.

Quick Reply: Bottom bumper piece