3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cutout question

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 10:17 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
read truckin151's threads on his headers. you do NOT want to cutout before the cats. he couldn't stand it.
Well screw him (j/k) because do you wanna know what Im gonna do with that cutout I bought from him? Its going in on some LTs with no cats and Im gonna drag up and down your street with it at WOT

Seriously though, cutouts are good. I wish someone was close to me with a system I could he so i could get mine right the first time you know?

Old 11-06-2009, 10:23 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LMAO. it isn't even just the sound that would bug me, but if you lose all low end without the cats, it will feel like complete dogsh!t IMO. being obnoxious loud is one thing, and all personal preference. but doing it and it costs you torque/power...that's just stupid.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:35 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Well screw him (j/k) because do you wanna know what Im gonna do with that cutout I bought from him? Its going in on some LTs with no cats and Im gonna drag up and down your street with it at WOT

Seriously though, cutouts are good. I wish someone was close to me with a system I could he so i could get mine right the first time you know?
And about a week after you get it put on and reallize how stupid loud it is running straight pipes off the LT's, how raspy the sound is, the severe lack of low end power and how bad it is inside the cab of the truck with the cutouts open you'll understand.... Try it out for yourself first. Im not going to say not to try it out cause you may like it like that, but for me it did not sound good with no cats, straight piped off the LT's both through the muffler and through the cutout and I could not live with that sound or the lack of power I was getting.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:11 PM
BigWillie

That's what I was worried about, I want the power and the sound. Does anyone know the best place for them that won't hurt the low end?

Old 11-06-2009, 12:14 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Well i do agree with xfeejayx that I would rather have the power and low end than i would the sound. Im sure the LTs and cutouts will sound nice on thier own.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:38 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by BigWillie
That's what I was worried about, I want the power and the sound. Does anyone know the best place for them that won't hurt the low end?
Well if you were to run true duals instead of the Y I would put them after the cat after an x pipe and as far back as I could so it is just before the muffler (If you have a quadcab you'll have room, if its a reg cab good luck). If you are doing a Y settup then put 1 on after the cats and the Y pipe just before the muffler. You can only move that Y pipe back so far before it starts getting in the way of things.

When I had the cutout plate off to try it out, there were no cats in place and it was after the ORY pipe and it was a dog off the line, low end was lacking big time, however I did not try it after the cats were put back in since I had the cutout removed altogether. So if you do do a Y pipe settup after everything and only use 1 cutout it may be decent. No guarrantees though

Quick Reply: Cutout question