3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Lifted4x4Astro
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blackbetty696
hey everyone
i am wanting to swap my automatic transmission for a manual one i have looked high and low and have only found a couple so if you guys could get me links, web sites, names of transmissions, prices, or even a site that sells a complete kit-drive shaft or length needed things of that nature that would help me lots and maybe widen my selection
It should be relatively easy to do. Buy the tranny, bell housing, clutch, clutch pedal and master cyclinder and ECM from a Ram 2500 equipped with the Hemi and either a 5 speed or 6 speed manual. The driveshaft will have to be custom built once the trans is in.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:04 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thiers a lot here to consider.

first, a dodge manual truck transmisson is not going to give you a performnace edge, the getrag transmissons are built for torque, not speed.

if you have the hemi, your going to need a fly wheel off a 2500 Ram with a 6sp, if you have the coin to buy a tremic ( srt 10, viper trans ) you best to buy A SRT 10 out right.

If you have the 4.7, you gonning to have a tough time finding a fly wheel and 6sp, and if you do, than chances are your gonna have to body man skills to bring a wrecked truck back to life.

If you own a 4x4, than you have just under taken more of a night mare, any way you look at it, your going to need a doaner truck that has the rods, linkage, clutch fliud resorver, nutraul saftey switch ( cruse control )

as for the coumputer, this is a walk in the park, unplug the automatic sensor, and your good to go...

Its a lot of work and the **** or is , dodge no longer makes a gas engine with a manual transmisson in any 1500 Ram or 2500 Ram

Quick Reply: manual transmission