3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My truck feels boggy

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 05:39 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The slowmaster muffler is slowing you down

Old 11-17-2009, 07:17 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lxman1
The slowmaster muffler is slowing you down
Lol! That statement would have held some water had I not previously just ran a magnaflow muffler

Old 11-17-2009, 07:19 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Originally Posted by truckin151
The diff is every 15k, trans is every 30k, plugs are every 30k. Go by the service manual that came with the truck and not by your local mechanic.
So ****, that means my truck is more than two times over its differential servicing. I mean, it may have been done by the other owner who had it up to 26,000 miles but I have no way of knowing what he did and didn't do. So now I still have to get my differentials, transfer case, and transmission serviced. The dealer quoted me like $500 for all four...****.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 05DodgeRamHemi
So now I still have to get my differentials, transfer case, and transmission serviced. The dealer quoted me like $500 for all four...****.
You need to learn how to start doing some of this stuff yourself. All this money you are spending on tune ups and fluid changes you could be putting towards mods (since you said funds were too tight to buy any new mods).

In terms of the way you are describing the feel of the trans during shifts, go buy a SC 3865 or 3950 with the money you will save from maintaining your vehicle without going to the dealer. When the new options are released you won't feel any of those things anymore. Trust me, I have been running the beta for a while now and it is sweet.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:44 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Lol! That statement would have held some water had I not previously just ran a magnaflow muffler
Proven fact, Magnaflow outflows Flowmaster almost 2 to 1 in independent testing.
My Mustang makes more power with the Magnaflows than it did with 2 chambered 40 series Flowmasters.

Have you tried recalibrating your TPS sensor? There is a FAQ on it.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:03 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

ok so the diff fluid needs changing every 15k what about a 2wd mine for instance not to thread jack just getting additional info it was done when i bought it a yr ago this month 13k miles ago should i do it and what should i use? other than rp thats just a lil much....and my trans should be good for how long? i should have another 15k on that so im good other than that ive checked everything else and replaced most anyway....sorry joe didnt mean to jack in anyway.....

Old 11-18-2009, 08:10 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Lol no problem Jason, they are all relevant questions.

I do know how to perform differential and transfer case servicing, I did that on my '01. I guess I just kind of didn't want to keep getting greasy all the time doing things on my newer truck....but $500 is a lot of money. I can handle my differentials and transfer case but I feel like I should have a shop do the transmission professionally.

And what is that makes the transmission shift so choppy. I think I've read you referring to it as a sponge...I think that sounds right.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:13 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Originally Posted by lxman1
Proven fact, Magnaflow outflows Flowmaster almost 2 to 1 in independent testing.
My Mustang makes more power with the Magnaflows than it did with 2 chambered 40 series Flowmasters.

Have you tried recalibrating your TPS sensor? There is a FAQ on it.
I've ran magnaflow mufflers both on my '01 Ram and my '05 Ram, and I felt no performance gains compared to all of the other chambered mufflers I have tried over the years. I always try magnaflow but then get rid of it because it didn't seem worth driving around quiet for a non noticeable performance gain.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:02 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by jusjay727
ok so the diff fluid needs changing every 15k what about a 2wd mine for instance not to thread jack just getting additional info it was done when i bought it a yr ago this month 13k miles ago should i do it and what should i use? other than rp thats just a lil much....and my trans should be good for how long? i should have another 15k on that so im good other than that ive checked everything else and replaced most anyway....sorry joe didnt mean to jack in anyway.....
The diff is every 15k, trans and and plugs are every 30k (OR X amount of months not sure without looking it up though), and yes it is the same with the 2wd's as well. As for the diff fluid, that depends depends on what type of diff you have. There are plenty of threads about it that have been posted up on this subject, I've seen at least one on here every month.

Lol no problem Jason, they are all relevant questions.

I do know how to perform differential and transfer case servicing, I did that on my '01. I guess I just kind of didn't want to keep getting greasy all the time doing things on my newer truck....but $500 is a lot of money. I can handle my differentials and transfer case but I feel like I should have a shop do the transmission professionally.

And what is that makes the transmission shift so choppy. I think I've read you referring to it as a sponge...I think that sounds right.
Thats why I was wondering why your service charge was so little on your other thread about your 36k tune up. The 30k, 60k, 90k tune ups from the dealer are a hell of a lot of $$$ if you don't do some of it yourself. They must have thought that it was just for a 36k tune up and over looked the other things.

I've ran magnaflow mufflers both on my '01 Ram and my '05 Ram, and I felt no performance gains compared to all of the other chambered mufflers I have tried over the years. I always try magnaflow but then get rid of it because it didn't seem worth driving around quiet for a non noticeable performance gain.
A muffler on its own will never give you a noticeable gain in power, it will free up some hp but not enough to really feel it and if anything will just give you a bit more pep/throttle response. HOWEVER when combined with other mods there most definitely is a noticeable increase in power/pep from a restrictive muffler to a high flow muffler. You just dont have enough performance mods to tell. (And just an FYI if you do decide to add a CAI, your mufflers tone will change, it should get a bit louder and a bit deeper than it is now and would have been the same with the magnaflow too.)

Old 11-18-2009, 12:04 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I've never changed the transmission fluid on a 3rd Gen Ram but have on other vehicles and it's super simple. One the 2nd gen and I assume the 3rd gen isn't much different you just drop the transmission pan by loosening all the bolts around the pan. Then you take out two torx screws on the transmission filter you will see once you get the pan off. The filter then comes right off and the new one goes on. You re tighten the two torx screws, wipe the pan off, replace the gasket, and bolt the new pan up. Then you just add fluid and you are done. It's slightly more to it than an oil change but not a whole lot.

All in all I'd rather do a transmission fluid change than the differential fluid change but both are pretty easy. No way I'd ever pay $500 for those and the transfer case fluid to be changed. It's all super easy and shouldn't cost more than $100-150 in fluids if you get good stuff and take a few hours to change if that. That dealer is ripping you off.

I understand not wanting to do the stuff yourself though. I guess you just have to decide if you'd rather have a few hundred extra in your pocket or to spend on mods or weather you'd rather not have that money and have someone else do it.

Quick Reply: My truck feels boggy