3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sigh... 4.7L Headers and Catalytic converter???

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 02:47 PM
xervo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sigh... 4.7L Headers and Catalytic converter???

So, yet another 4.7L header thread. Sorry about this. I just need to know if anybody makes long tube headers for the 4.7. I gather there aren't any, at least not that I can find.
The only reason I'm looking at them is the manifolds are totally rotted on mine. So, rather than replace with stock manifolds I figure I might as well put some headers, even if they are shorties.
And I figure I'll replace the Cat too since I happen to have a 2.5 I/O Carsound cat laying around from an old Jeep build. Do you think this will flow any better than the stock unit?

So in short, Which shorties to go with, will the Carsound Cat make any difference and where can I get a Y-pipe for it?
Again, I appologize for the redundant post.

Oh yeah, its an 02' if it matters.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:18 PM
s13_marine
Professional

I've looked ALOT, and as far as I can tell nobody has bothered to make longtubes for the 4.7... a y-pipe either. You could get some stainless shorties and have a shop customize them... but the cost propbably wouldn't be worth it. Haven't had luck with a Y-pipe either, that should be rally esy for a shop to fab up, and not too expensive. I was gonna do JBA shorties, custom Y into a single high-flow cat, and then single 3" in, dual 2.5" out muffler with turndowns.
I'm already running a 3" pipe after the Y, into a single 3" in, dual 2.5" out magnaflow muffler w/ turndowns before the axle. Sounds great, free'd up a little flow. If there were long tubes, I'm pretty sure i'd of found them by now. If you DO find some, lemme know!

Old 11-24-2009, 08:01 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they make a y pipe. Not a long tube header.

my exhaust on my 4.7 is 2.5 inches. So I bought a magnaflow y pipe 2.5 in 2.5 out.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:08 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If anybody would know, www.airram.com would. He is the 4.7L guru.

Edit, I didn't see any long tubes there either. Kooks could probably make some, but they won't be cheap!!!

Last edited by lxman1; 11-24-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:28 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NOBODY MAKES THEM...

You can get a set of hemi LT headers, and pay a machine shop to take 4.7 headers and replace the place where the mount... I am to tired, I will post a link later. I already posted it once. Do a search of "breathing through a bigger straw"

Old 11-24-2009, 10:15 PM
xervo

Yeah, I'm not looking to spend a boat load. Nor do I think its worth it on this beater 4.7. its just that almost all the bolts have broken on the left manifold and the right has a slight leak too. And the manifolds are totally rotten from rust. Its bad enough now that its starting to run like a bag of $#%& so I figure its time to do something (no MIL though???)

What do you guys think about the carsound cat? Would it be worth putting in? I wouldn't bother but I have it sitting in my barn and its has the right size in and out.
Oh, yeah I'm just going with stock size pipes. 2.25 from the headers to 2.5 from the Y-pipe back. I'm just going to do the work my self. I don't want to have to take it to a shop unless I absolutely have to. I'm pretty good with my MIG and chop saw. Plus I Have a bunch of random 2.5 exhaust pipe laying around from and old project. I should be able to make it into something.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:01 AM
berndog67
Rookie

well i did a quick search and yes there is little out there for the 4.7L's, i had one in my ram, but the motor quit on me and im swapping in a hemi now, so i never got the chance to buy some for mine before it blew, but i did see a few on ebay for like 250 to 500 depending on whether is was stainless or ceramic, but just look a little harder, cuz there are a few out there!

Old 11-25-2009, 04:15 AM
SilentRamAD
Veteran

Not sure if this helps . . . http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...0A50309A1.aspx

You can use that as a reference if it's new to you, doubt it though.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:59 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

google it ive found shorties for like $400 made by gibson they are special order....

Old 11-25-2009, 10:18 AM
xervo

I think I'm just going to do the JBAs because they are super cheep and come with a new Y-pipe. I don't have any other performance mods so I doubt I'll notice any difference between brands.

Quick Reply: Sigh... 4.7L Headers and Catalytic converter???