3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I got 2 Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 10:21 PM
rochefort978
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got 2 Questions...

Okay first off I have an 03 Ram with the 20" chrome rims... Well here in Michigan they like to use a lot of salt on the roads and the rims have gotten corrosion it looks like on them (idk if that is from the salt or not) but I cannot seem to find a way to get rid of that or even help to get rid of it.. Anyone had this problem or found a way to fix it?

Secondly.. I installed the PIAA 520 lights behind my grille Saturday evening and now I'm on a mod spree lol. Problem is.. pocket book isn't too deep, any ideas on anything custom you guys have done that didn't cost too much? I'm a DIY'er so that cuts back on some stuff..

Anyways.. Thanks guys!

Old 11-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rochefort978
Secondly.. I installed the PIAA 520 lights behind my grille Saturday evening and now I'm on a mod spree lol. Problem is.. pocket book isn't too deep, any ideas on anything custom you guys have done that didn't cost too much? I'm a DIY'er so that cuts back on some stuff..
How about an e-fan, it is a good mod and it is not too expensive to swap in.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:31 PM
moosefire66
Veteran

I live in Michigan also. I know how you feel man. Is the corrosion you speak of on the clear coat on the rim, or into the metal itself? If its just the clear coat, you could get some aircraft grade clear coat remover from your local auto parts store, and re-clear the rims. If its into the metal, you have quite a chore in front of ya....

Old 11-29-2009, 10:33 PM
rochefort978
Professional

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
How about an e-fan, it is a good mod and it is not too expensive to swap in.
how much did your kit end up running? I have never really thought about the e-fan upgrade.. And did you run it to a thermostat deal or just wire it to a switch and keep an eye on the temp gauge? Easy mounting it?

Old 11-29-2009, 10:34 PM
rochefort978
Professional

Originally Posted by moosefire66
I live in Michigan also. I know how you feel man. Is the corrosion you speak of on the clear coat on the rim, or into the metal itself? If its just the clear coat, you could get some aircraft grade clear coat remover from your local auto parts store, and re-clear the rims. If its into the metal, you have quite a chore in front of ya....
to be honest with ya.... i have no idea lol. I know I have tried different rim cleaners and I cant seem to get any of it out...

Old 11-29-2009, 10:36 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

how much did your kit end up running? I have never really thought about the e-fan upgrade.. And did you run it to a thermostat deal or just wire it to a switch and keep an eye on the temp gauge? Easy mounting it?
The fan was only something like $25. Now when I did mine I went with a more expensive controller (it was a little over $100) but you can get controllers much cheaper than that, it just depends on what features you want from your controller. Mounting is fairly easy, a few pieces of metal and some bolts and I was able to make some brakcets so that the e-fan fit right inside of the stock shroud.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:39 PM
rochefort978
Professional

The fan was only something like $25. Now when I did mine I went with a more expensive controller (it was a little over $100) but you can get controllers much cheaper than that, it just depends on what features you want from your controller. Mounting is fairly easy, a few pieces of metal and some bolts and I was able to make some brakcets so that the e-fan fit right inside of the stock shroud.
so realistically I could have the job done for about $75? I had talked to a guy at work about it and he said that when he did his on his ranger it was really noisy and wasn't really worth doing.. but idk. I like custom lol.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

so realistically I could have the job done for about $75? I had talked to a guy at work about it and he said that when he did his on his ranger it was really noisy and wasn't really worth doing.. but idk. I like custom lol.
Probably. You can go to Pep Boys or someplace like that and get a simple on/off controller with a set temp and use that. They are usually pretty low priced. It is not noisy at all on low, now if you put it on high that is another story. But I have never had to use mine on high and I ran it all summer.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:48 PM
rochefort978
Professional

Probably. You can go to Pep Boys or someplace like that and get a simple on/off controller with a set temp and use that. They are usually pretty low priced. It is not noisy at all on low, now if you put it on high that is another story. But I have never had to use mine on high and I ran it all summer.
idk if it is possible or not... but i think he might have ran his just straight to a switch with 1 speed. I honestly don't know too much about it. What all did you notice out of it? I love ur truck by the way it looks sweet. You do the tint yourself?

Old 11-29-2009, 10:55 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

idk if it is possible or not... but i think he might have ran his just straight to a switch with 1 speed. I honestly don't know too much about it. What all did you notice out of it? I love ur truck by the way it looks sweet. You do the tint yourself?
When you install the e-fan it frees up some power from your engine bc it removes the parasitic loss caused by the stock clutch fan. The biggest thing I noticed was a pretty good jump in my MPG's. I also could feel a little boost in power too.

I did all the tint myself. I started on the tails and then after I felt pretty confident on my tinting skills I moved on to the windows. Turned out pretty well if I do say so myself .

Quick Reply: I got 2 Questions...