3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Indexing Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 11:45 PM
BigSwede
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indexing Plugs

Will be changing my plugs for the first time soon. I've read about indexing the plugs so the ground electrodes face the center of the cylinder. How do you accomplish this without either over or under tightening the plugs? Are there washers to use? Help is appreciated.

Sadly, I am way over due.........59k on my '07 and this is my first plug change. She's been running so good I didn't bother.

Have a good one.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:03 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've never heard of indexing the plugs like that. as far as my knowledge goes, you're MUCH better off following the suggested torque settings (23 lb ft if im not mistaken without looking it up) than you are trying to get the electrodes facing center. Washers would also mess it up since the plugs are an exact length.

Not sure what plugs you're planning on using, but the Hemi actually likes the OEM champion copper plugs the best. Dont buy in to all the advertising crap other plugs have...they wont work nearly as well.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:09 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

indexing is trial and error, mark them, tighten them and see where they are at, if ther not right, try another plug, but i think the trouble far out ways the benifits in a street motor

Old 12-05-2009, 01:32 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Very hard to do since the plug is do far down in the head it will be hard to see the plug when installed to see it's position. Since there are 2 plugs per cylinder, I wouldn't waste my time. This is more for wedge headed engines.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:58 AM
Dodge.Ismo
Veteran

Mark your spark plugs with a marker on the side which faces the open end at your spark electrode. Get hold of a an area speed shop or where ever you can get a hold of the proper spark plug indexing type washers, (they come in a few different thicknesses to help accomodate with your plug alignment). It IS a trial and error situation..you'll be turning them in and out all day to get them right, (quickest way is having your heads out of vehicle). It does work...but for normal street use,...the fuel savings and power gains may not be worth all the effort...good luck though.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:06 AM
abarmby
Champion

IMHO don't bother.
This is an old "racers" trick, to eek out the last 1-2 hp out of a race motor.
You wouldn't see any difference on the street and with 16 to do, it's a complete waste of time.
Al.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:34 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't waste your time or energy. You won't see a dimes worth of power or economy from it. On the other hand, you may have the reward of a few bloody knuckles from trying to get them to the proper location. You're better off worrying about changing them at the right interval to keep you're gas mileage and running performance up.
These engines ARE sensitive to upkeep. I have no doubt that you will notice a difference after their changed. Make sure you keep the plug wires in their original tracks as crossfiring can raise issues.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:18 AM
BigSwede
Professional

thanks for the info. I'll forgo indexing them when I put them in. I'll be using the champions. Only mod to the truck is airraid CAI. I feel bad that she's been neglected. Sadly, she takes a back seat on maintenance since I am usually focused on cleaning/maintaining my bikes.

I appreciate the help

Old 12-05-2009, 12:27 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You should check the gap of the plugs rather than pulling them out of the box and stuffing them in. Use a wire gapper and not the slider type.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:00 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not worth it for a street engine, especially trying to do it with twice the normal amount of plugs...

Quick Reply: Indexing Plugs