3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sidewinder installed...........finally

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 10:52 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up Sidewinder installed...........finally

First and foremost, the thing that has held me from this project the most was I bought a set of 6.1 springs from a fellow member. Well that was Thurs I think when he said he sent them. The following week was Thanksgiving and I really needed the long weekend to do it but they never arrived. By all of the week after that they didnt come either. He says he sent them but didnt send with a trackable carrier like I asked. He sent USPS with no delivery confirmation or signature require so who the ***** knows where they are. Anyway, I broke down and called Hensons and spoke with Louise (sp) and bought another set and had them sent overnight.

So I started Sat morning around 8am and quit at 2am. It was in the 30s outside and I was ok until my feet got cold. Thats when I had to stop.

But where is how it went......

pulled the intake.....check
pulled the radiator, shroud and fan.....check
pulled the VCs, coils and plugs.....check
pulled the rocker arms and pushrods
pulled the valve springs and installed 6.1's (heads on the block).....check

I quit at this point because it was freezing cold outside and my thighs and back was killing me

Sunday morning (8am)

pulled the alt and AC.....check
pulled the belt, idle pullys (2) and tentioner.....check
pulled the t-stat and hose.....check
pulled the power steering pump.....check
pulled the crank pully.....check
pulled the water pump.....check
pulled the timing cover.....check
lined up to TDC on #1 and pulled the cam gear.....check
pulled and cam and replaced with the Sidewinder.....check

I put everything (EVERYTHING) back together and was all excited. I filled all the fluids too. Its about 10pm or so at this point and work is in the morning. I put the key in the ignition and fire it up only to get nothing but the engine spinning over and over and not catching.

Now throughout the install when ever I was unsure of anything or had a question I had 3 backups and believe me, they each got called.

03ramit1 - Chefred112 - Sawcut64

So as Sawcut64 and I was talking, we determine im out of timing in the cam and the easiest thing to do it to tear it all back apart

ARE YOU CHIITING ME!?!?!?! But what else could you do. Thankfully Sawcut explained to me where everything needed to be and it made sense.

Well Ive got vacation time at work so its time to burn a day. I go ahead and call it in and go wash up for bed because the temps were back in the 30s and I was very soar from working on everything.

Monday morning (9am)

pulled the alt and AC.....check
pulled the belt, idle pullys (2) and tentioner.....check
pulled the power steering pump.....check
pulled the T-stat and hose.....check
pulled the crank pully.....check
pulled the water pump.....check
pulled the timing cover.....check

I turned it to where the cam was at 12 o'clock only to find my crank was at 3 o'clock. Damn!!!

So I set the crank to 2 o'clock and pulled the cam gear. I set the cam back to 12 and got everything buttoned back up. So not I got everything back together again and its around 3pm. I put the key in the ignition and turned it. This time it fired and caught but died quick. I tried it again and it cranked and ran sounded GOOD.

It idled low at first and stalled a few times but the PCM caught on quick. I did reset the PCM also. I pulled it out in the yard and laid down a short strip just to check it and it was nice.

I havent had a chance to do any data logging yet but hopefully will tomorrow. I did so some with the stock cam so I have something to compare to. I havent seen any DTCs yet other than a p0172 which is a Fuel System 1/1 Rich. Ive never seen that before so I cleared the DTCs and am keeping an eye on it.

I did go back in with a Stant p/n 14168 180* T-stat and it works great.

Also, for those wanting to change the valve springs on the heads I had a bit of advice, I already had one but if you dont then go buy a cylinder compresson tester. In it is the hose you can screw in the the spark plug hole to use air to hold the valve up. Now there is a valve stem in the end of it but you can remove it with a tool for it or a small pair of needle nose pliars. I did go through the slow process of bringing each cylinder to TDC incase I dropped a valve but never did one fall with using compressed air.

It was a major and slow PITA to change the springs on the head and I wont do that again either. If I ever have to do that again, I will pulled the heads. Its hard trying to get the keepers out and not lose them going back in. I actually dropped one and another decided to take flight from when the retainer pushed against it. LUCKILY I was able to find both. With the heads off and on a bench this would have been much less stressful and more easy.

Anyway, a huge and special THX to 03ramit1 - Chefred112 - Sawcut64 for helping and answering my Qs. Sawcut actually called me a few times to check on me and make sure I hadnt shot myself.

As always, pics are in the link in my sig and in the Sidewinder folder

Old 12-07-2009, 10:59 PM
hemiguy0302
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Videos videos videos!!!!! Seriously though congrats on the install takes a lot not to walk away and say ***** it I quit when things go to ****.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:00 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome cant wait to see the results!!

Old 12-07-2009, 11:00 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweeeeeeeeet.....

Old 12-07-2009, 11:24 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awesome. did you replace the timing chain while you were in there?
cant wait to see the vid..

Old 12-07-2009, 11:26 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

was wondering how that went. wow, you braved it with it being 30 out, major props for that! can't wait to see the numbers.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:27 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

Outstanding! Is it everything you were hoping?

Old 12-07-2009, 11:46 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Frog, im not sure yet. It sounds better. Seems to have a slightly deeper rumble maybe. Definately got a slight lope to it. Doesnt seem as froggy (excuse the pun) as I would think but I havent gotten a good chance to play with it yet either. Im really hoping the timing is where it should be and not a tooth off. I checked, double checked and triple check the cam at 12 and the crank at 2 because I wanted to make sure it is where it needed to be but IDK yet. Tomorrow Ill take it out on the interstate and open it up and do some data logging to seen where I am. I will post those numbers tomorrow if I get the chance

Old 12-07-2009, 11:55 PM
Ice-Forever
All Star

Originally Posted by weedahoe

pulled the rocker arms and pushrods
pulled the valve springs and installed 6.1's (heads on the block).....check

You forgot to check if you pulled the rocker arms and pushrods

That was probably the problem weed, you silly goose, you.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:56 PM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker

Can't wait to see/hear her in action!!

Quick Reply: Sidewinder installed...........finally