3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Report Death Wobble to highway traffic safety

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:55 PM
thekidnotakid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Report Death Wobble to highway traffic safety

The following link will bring you to a govt. based web site ti file a complaint about defects. It is called "Office of Defects Investigations". They are an office within the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). ODI conducts defect investigations and administers safety recalls to support the NHTSA's mission to improve safety on our Nation's roadways.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

If enough of us who are, or have had the "Death Wobble" problem complain here, they will investigate the problem. Hopefully we can get Dodge to poney up to the problem!

We have to be pro active on this issue. Get anyone you know who has had this problem to file a complaint. The more the better. Put it up on other posts if it will help. It will be worth the time.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:35 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

correct me if i'm wrong, but isnt death wobble usually caused from a level or lift... they arent going to investigate a problem that is caused from a modded suspension...

Old 12-11-2009, 01:21 AM
tlawre87
Veteran

ya, death wobble is going to be caused by something to be off balanced. ie something you've done or normal wear and tear. Heck I had a bad shock give me death wobble and a bad Ss. Althought the SS could have been a bandaide effect too.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:20 PM
thekidnotakid

My 05 power wagon saw the "death Wobble" rear its ugly head for the 1st time at a little over 38,000 miles. It was stock from the factory and still had the original tires on it. Dodge replaced the wheel bearings and it went away. I put the 2" lift on it at about 45,000 miles and the death wobble did not come back until I had about 70,000 miles on it.You would not believe the laundry list of things they did to try to correct the problem. It seems that they are not quite sure as to the cause of it.

I also have a friend in Florida that has not done any lift modifications. He has after market rims and slightly larger tires, but no modifications to the suspension or steering. He has had the "death Wobble" since 45,000 miles.

I have read other threads on this forum of people, with stock trucks, getting the dreaded "Death Wobble".

Old 12-11-2009, 06:25 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Another forum did something similar regarding the "C-Clip" issue, which is potentially just as dangerous. Supposedly had over 1000 people just from there get online and fill out a complaint. To my knowledge, nothing was ever done.

Now I'm not saying not to complain and I firmly believe that the front end of Dodge 2500/3500 trucks have a legitimate issue (as do a vast amount of 1500 coil over fronts), but the reality is, it's a hell of a long shot...

Old 12-11-2009, 06:45 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

The "Death Wobble" that renouned is only on the 2500/3500 models. The 1500 series "death wobble" is mostly from lift kits.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:25 PM
thekidnotakid

Well anyone who has this problem should make the complaint. I agree that it might not do any good, but on the other hand , maybe it will. I know I have read a lot of posts on this site complaining about the problem. Not everyone who is experiencing it has modified the suspension. Dodge acknowledges that there is a problem and has a TSB for it. Reading the TSB, it looks like they are shooting at many different parts and can not pin point the cause. To me that says there is a design flaw some where. I mean if a componant fails you should be able to replace the failed part and it would be fixed. You should not have to replace part after part until it finally goes away.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:52 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Well if it's any consolation, a good buddy of mine with a '95 Furd diesel 4x4 says they been trying to fix his DW for years and it's bi*ched about daily on the Furd Forums too by SFA truck owners..

Old 12-12-2009, 12:46 AM
mopar6spd
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

may be a dumb question- But what exactly is this "death wobble" ive had no issues or wobbles with my front end.. What actually causes this?

Old 12-12-2009, 09:13 AM
thekidnotakid

The following is a link to a recent news artical concerniong the "Death Wobble". It is a good read, and encouraging that it is making the media. There is a video at the top left of the page, but it does not really show how bad the truck shakes.
http://www.wsoctv.com/news/19518416/detail.html

There needs to be more complaints filed with The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration.The following is a link to NHTA. Please take time to file a complaint. Lets get NHTA to make Dodge fix this problem before someone gets hurt or killed!
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Quick Reply: Report Death Wobble to highway traffic safety