3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Advice on pads and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 07:33 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Power Slot/Hawk.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:49 PM
claybar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got rear rotors & pads --any DIY info?

I just got my rear pads and rotors and was wondering if there was a video on this site or if someone had the information on how to step through the project. I'm not a professional mechanic but can follow steps. I know it's pretty basic...remove the wheel, remove the caliper, remove the rotor, but is there any other info I need.....bleed brakes, wipe down new rotors? and how do I know if I need new calipers?

Thanks

Old 12-29-2009, 07:20 PM
stuntpilot
Professional

Dealer OEM pads all the way! Just checked the price today when I was down my local Dodge and they cost $59.70 per axle (for an 02 1500 SLT quad cab long bed). That's cheaper then my local Advanced Autoparts garbage. The last time I changed pads on the front was three years ago and I am not easy on the brakes! I have never changed the rears and I have owned the truck for four years. My best advice and this comes from years of racing experience is don't mix and match pad and rotor manufacturers or you will chunk the rotors! Factory pads / factory rotors, EBC pads / EBC rotors and so on. As for aftermarket EBC are really good. On a road truck with normal driving it's not really worth getting larger rotors or aftermarket calipers etc. Leave that for show or race vehicles.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:28 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first off depending what you bought for pads use lots of break grease if you bought ceramics they have a cermaic grease for the back of the pads....also clean the new rotor with break cleaner well....clean all break parts with cleaner well....no need to bleed if you dont touch the pedal after the caliper is removed or the break lines.....also check youtube for the basic change if needed watch a few vids its easy man just remember clean everything first and use grease at all points to avoid squeeking.....pm rydeslow for illustrations if needed he has lots of stuff.....whoever posted above me oem is junk why do you think we are all replacing rotors cause they warp.....

Old 12-29-2009, 07:42 PM
stuntpilot
Professional

Originally Posted by jusjay727
first off depending what you bought for pads use lots of break grease if you bought ceramics they have a cermaic grease for the back of the pads....also clean the new rotor with break cleaner well....clean all break parts with cleaner well....no need to bleed if you dont touch the pedal after the caliper is removed or the break lines.....also check youtube for the basic change if needed watch a few vids its easy man just remember clean everything first and use grease at all points to avoid squeeking.....pm rydeslow for illustrations if needed he has lots of stuff.....whoever posted above me oem is junk why do you think we are all replacing rotors cause they warp.....
I was talking about OEM pads. The OEM pads are good and it is advisable to use OEM rotors with them! Rotor warping, generaly is more to do with the type of stock caliper Dodge use then with the discs themselves. Fist type calipers (i.e. pistons on one side only) are known to warp discs. I haven't warped my discs even after 40,000 hard miles because I take care of my calipers and keep them clean. I check and clean them every oil change and this prevents them from binding and warping the discs!

Quick Reply: Advice on pads and rotors