3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: A poll
H1
42.86%
H2
0%
Powerwagon
22.86%
Land Rover
5.71%
VW Touareg
0%
Jeep Cherokee
5.71%
Jeep Wrangler
22.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Best off-road vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 05:53 PM
salomonskier
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best off-road vehicle

I personally chose the H1 the powerwagon was close behind. What do you all think of the VW tourage. I was not really sure if it was as capable as some people have told me. I mean come on its a Volkswagen! It has an option of air adjustabe shocks where you can lower it down to 8 inches and raise it up to 12. And it does and a nice motor in it though 310hp V8. Well here is a picture you be the judge.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14108/5DDA0F261BCB48C9A6D6B6C4795FACEF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-16-2005, 06:01 PM
|3|ackAc|D
Record Breaker

oh yea

my vote goes to this

h1 gots nothing on this

[8D]

Old 04-16-2005, 06:14 PM
vlsun
Veteran

wasn't the h1 a civilian version with its offroad capabilities stripped down to be better for pavement driving? anyways, you can't beat a jeep wrangler with air lockers, they'll climb anything.

the vw suv thing has a nice interior, that's about it, heh. mini suv's... what a retarded market.

Old 04-17-2005, 05:52 PM
04hemiboy
Amateur

I think I read a comparison somewhere and for the money the winner was the wrangler rubicon but total domination was the mercedes G55 AMG

Old 04-18-2005, 07:38 AM
RebelRam04
Rookie

The most capable off-road vehicle on that list is the H1. The PowerWagon is sweet and would be hard to beat if it had the Cummins, but the original Hummer is the best. It's 4 wheel independent suspension, automatic tire pressure adjustment, and sealed engine components make it far more capable than anything else out there. The main difference between the H1 and the military version is the interior and engine. The original HUMV came with the 6.2L cummins deisel and would drive through or over anything, including small lakes using a revolutionary air recirculation system on the engine that was very similar to a rebreather used for diving. The H1 is specifically designed to sink in order to maintain contact with a driving surface. But if you wanna go retro the unnamed victor in this poll would be the UNIMOG. Hands down.

Old 04-18-2005, 07:48 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RebelRam04

The original HUMV came with the 6.2L cummins deisel
Nope. It's a GM diesel, not Cummins. It's a waste of an engine.

Old 04-18-2005, 01:48 PM
RebelRam04
Rookie

Well you are half right. The first year of production of the HUMV(military version) GM was still putting Cummins diesels into their Suburbans and trucks, that was what they put into the HUMV. The original H1 or Hummer, got the GM diesels which yes, suck.

Old 04-18-2005, 01:52 PM
DonG
Veteran

I'm surprised at all the votes for the Hummer and the power wagon. I would think the best would be a vehicle that could handle nearly any off road situation. Neither would make it on most of the Colorado 4x4 trails I've traveled. I'd be watching them roll down the mountain because they couldn't keep more than 2 wheels on the trail.

I think hype and looks may be playing more of a role than realistic capabilities.

Old 04-18-2005, 09:25 PM
locked up
Professional

This is a loaded question.

Off road....? Well do you mean sand, mud, rocks? Do you have a ton of gear or just a backpack and a sleeping bag?

If I need to haul around a ton of gear in wide open places, I'm gonna look to the H1.

If I want something that can go on most ATV trails and I don't mind packing light, I'm gonna go with a Wrangler.

If I wanted something that could go on most trails easily and haul a good amout if gear I'd get a Cherokee.

If I wanted to build up a Monster Truck on 44's, I'd go with the power wagon.

If I want to look like a poser offroader with a lot of money that is only going to use the vehicle to get grocries, I go with the Rover or Toureg.

If I want my friends to point and laugh at me ... I get the H2.

Most likely, I'd go with a Cherokee (I'va already had one and they are pretty capable with very minimal mods) or a Power Wagon if I have the $$$.

I'd never get an H1 as long as I live in the south because their strong points are wasted down here in the swamp. I'd never get a Rover or Toureg ... unless my wife wanted one to get groceries and we lived up north. I'd never get a Wrangler because everyone has a Wrangler and I like to be different. I'd never get an H2 because ... well I just assume get the suburban body to go woth the chassis.

Old 04-18-2005, 11:55 PM
salomonskier
Veteran

I personally think that the H1 is much more capable overall then a jeep wrangler, but that is just me.

Quick Reply: Best off-road vehicle