3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What's the purpose of the nose down stance anyway?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:24 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the purpose of the nose down stance anyway?

I've been searching and asking around recently about leveling my truck - or at least making it look a little more level than stock. I'm not sure I'd want it completely level because it will really be odd when I hook my 30 ft. RV up and the back end squats down with the front end up.

Anyway, someone made a very good point to me about leveling the front end. If it were meant to be level, it would be already. Got me to thinking - what is the purpose of the nose down stance from the factory on a 4x4 truck anyway? Is it ride? Is it aero? Is it so the truck would be level for towing rather than *** down/nose up stance? Are there other reasons or combinations of the above? Anyone know for sure?

I guess I'm old school but to me - 4x4's should sit level.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:26 AM
tlawre87
Veteran

From what I've understood its to help with the aerodynamics of the truck and also for braking.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:28 AM
JCinDE
Professional

Someone at Chrysler had the misguided notion that it looked good?

Or maybe it was the prevailing notion of the first half of the decade that everything must be 4 wheel drive, but look "refined". This decade did witness the birth of the "crossover" after all.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:28 AM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[q Is it ride? Is it aero? Is it so the truck would be level for towing rather than *** down/nose up stance?

I would say yes to that! Has to be a combination of those things!

I guess I'm old school but to me - 4x4's should sit level.[/quote]

And I agree with this! it has to sit level, or just a touch high in the front!

Old 12-29-2009, 09:36 AM
stuntpilot
Professional

The reason for the nose down stance is for stable handling when loaded. When you load the bed the stance levels out. If you have a nose up stance when loaded the handling becomes very unsafe which is why I would never level my truck!

Old 12-29-2009, 09:38 AM
SMKNRAM
Champion

If you are loading on a regular basis get a set of air bags to off set the weight. Then you can still ride level!

Old 12-29-2009, 09:40 AM
stuntpilot
Professional

Originally Posted by SMKNRAM
If you are loading on a regular basis get a set of air bags to off set the weight. Then you can still ride level!

Yes but car makers have to make cars safe out of the box so they don't get sued!

P.S. I like the nose down, it makes it look more aggressive.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:44 AM
SMKNRAM
Champion

10-4, I like the nose down on sport/street trucks, 2WD. 4WD need to leveled IMO!

Old 12-29-2009, 09:46 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

According to some engineer type guys I have asked on a forum I belong to that is geared more toward gearheads, performance shop employees and owners, the reason is twofold.

Aerodynamics is one reason, unlike the bigger trucks where MPG numbers DO NOT have to be reported, 1/2 ton trucks must be, and every truck maker tries to get the best MPG numbers possible while still making a serviceable truck. With demand by consumers for more power every year, this takes a hell of a balancing act and the rake helps squeek out a little better MPG.

The other reason I get is also consumer generated. The avg. consumer wants it all, a ride quality like a Caddy, with the hauling and towing capability of a dually, all out of a 1500 (1/2 ton) truck.

Stiffer springs in the rear gives a harsher ride quality, but softer springs with more room for articulation and "sag" in the rear gives you both a better ride unladen and the ability to carry a cargo or support a tongue weight that you needed a 3/4 ton to do 20 years ago.

Balance all the factors together and try to give the consumer what they want, and you have a nose down, a$$ up truck.

IMO, KEY IT AND BAG IT!!!

Last edited by HammerZ71; 12-29-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:53 AM
SMKNRAM
Champion

IMO, KEY IT AND BAG IT!!!

Hammer, well put as usual my man!!

Quick Reply: What's the purpose of the nose down stance anyway?