3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlight and stock fog light bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 11:51 AM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mullet- The HIDs do involve a conversion, per say, but its all in the $60 kit. When you order from the 'local sponsor', just be sure you tell them what year make and model you have, and they will send the relay you need as well. Its all plug-n-play, pretty simple, and WELL worth the couple extra bucks.

HIDextra.com

Steve- pull harder, lol, thats all. There's only those 3 screws, and a couple clips holding'er in there. Be carefull though not to scratch up the bumper, it'll happen quick

Old 01-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Flying Mullet
Rookie

Thanks for the info. Even with the kit, I though the whole light would have to be swapped out becuase with just the conversion kit the light wouldn't be focused or am I wrong. Going to check the kits out.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:49 PM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star

Well, I believe what you're referring to would be the "scatter" of the HIDs in a halogen housing. I just adjusted the headlights down, and haven't had any problems thus far.

The kit consists of a ballast, a new bulb, with either an HID bulb and an halogen bulb, HID=low beam, Halogen=high beam ($60 kit)

or you can opt for the bi-xenon kit for $90, which has HID high/low beam.

According to my readings, the 'proper' way to install HIDs is with projector housings, to control the scatter of the light. But like I said, if properly adjusted, there shouldnt be any problems.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Flying Mullet
Rookie

I saw the kits you were talking about but my only other issue is, are they legal? They would have to be legal in PA, NJ DE, and MD for me to get them since I am in those states frequently. Guess I will be looking it up.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:16 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Mullet
I saw the kits you were talking about but my only other issue is, are they legal? They would have to be legal in PA, NJ DE, and MD for me to get them since I am in those states frequently. Guess I will be looking it up.

Unless the place you get your vehicle inspected puts your headlights through a test machine, then you have nothing to worry about besides getting flashed by other drivers occasionally and possibly harrassed by a cop. But as far as tickets go...no.
Just check with your local inspection station and see if they do headlight alignment tests for inspection. if they do then you will fail. Most likeley they don't do that sort of thing. It's more common in other countries as far as the inspection goes.
if you got headlights and highbeams you will likely pass. Worse case scenerio, you pull out the plug'n'play bulbs and install the stockers. Takes minutes.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Flying Mullet
Rookie

Not worried about the inspection - friends of wife's family does it. If anything isn't going to pass they let me know so I can do the work or get the parts for them to do the work if I cannot do it.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Flying Mullet
Rookie

Is there a major difference between the 6000k and the 8000k? Does the 8000k look more blue?

Old 01-08-2010, 03:59 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

6000k is the standard everyone seems to like to go with, it looks quite blue already, especially compared to other headlights in general. If you go with hid's I would suggest getting projectors, I have projectors on mine and they help alot, and there is this guy that just moved in down the street from me with an 03 or something like that dodge with stock headlight housings and hid's in them, and they are god-awful horribly blinding. The guy thinks they are the sickest things in the world, and all they do is make him look like an a&$hole driving down the street with them. My truck is leveled with 35's and an add a leaf in the rear and they blind the hell out of me, I cant imagine what they do to oncoming cars.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:02 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

Oh and just in case someone is still considering the piaa's, I used to have piaa's in my old 98 dodge, and those were some really good lights, the light output was not as high as the silverstars but they put out a nice temperature of light, and the light output was still good. Their life was also very good, as far as I am aware the kid that bought it from me is still running those same bulbs which would make them nearly 2 and a half years old.

Quick Reply: Headlight and stock fog light bulbs