3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'06 Dodge Ram Kicker 12" L5 Install ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 05:32 PM
ChALkY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 Dodge Ram Kicker 12" L5 Install ?

Hey guys! I have a question for all you audio freaks that drive dodge rams. First off, I'm not new to the audio game. Installed many systems successfully with no problems. Installing in an '06 Ram. I purchased (all new) a 12" L5 Kicker sub with a ZX500.1 amp. Held in a vented box. Should be pretty loud, give ya a good shakin. Grabbed a wiring kit and a line out converter so I could use my stock head unit. Installed everything in a couple hours and looks as good as anything else I've ever installed. In specifics, my line out converter had 4 wires to 2 RCA's. The four wires called for LR hot, LR ground, RR hot, RR ground. I installed, as I have in the past, both hots and both grounds into the LR hot and the LR ground. Sub settings (for the sake of experimentation) are turned all the way up, gain control is turned all the way up. Bass is turned all the way up on the head unit. Everything must be wired correctly because I can hear minute bass and feel the sub moving by touch, but I know from previous experience that this ZX500.1 should be beatin one L5 12" hard. It's a 4ohm sub wired in parallel so it is pushing a 2ohm current. And yea, I pulled out the sub to check my connections.

So after all that...HELP HELP HELPPPP!!!! PLEASE!?!? lol It's driving me insane! Why isn't it beating to full potential? I know you lose a little input when using a line out converter, but this sub is barely beating at all and all of my connections are strong and solid. Please help! Thanks in advance!!!

:i con_shrug::ico n_shrug::icon_ shrug::icon_sh rug:

Old 01-09-2010, 06:39 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

You need to wire it to the front door speakers. The rears have low output. Even the Mopar Kicker set-up runs off of the drivers door output.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:56 PM
ChALkY

so you think that would make a huge difference in how the sub sounds? cause right now the stock infinity speakers in the front door have more bass pushin than the 12" L5. basically what I am asking is...Is there enough of a difference from the back to the front to make the sub two or 3 times louder? cause right now it sounds waaaayyyy dead.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:36 PM
ChALkY

just changed out my line-converter with a new $20.00 one i purchased at Best Buy and it works great! Must have been a bad LOC, i'll make sure to never buy another SoundGate LOC, that's two now that have bit the dust before the bass even bumps. lol

end thread

Old 01-11-2010, 12:06 PM
bigmac18
Veteran

Originally Posted by lxman1
You need to wire it to the front door speakers. The rears have low output. Even the Mopar Kicker set-up runs off of the drivers door output.
This!

Quick Reply: '06 Dodge Ram Kicker 12" L5 Install ?