3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2007 1500 20" wheels - chronic tire cupping

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 11:07 AM
robert.menna@noblis.org
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 1500 20" wheels - chronic tire cupping

I am scratching my heaad about this one.

The original factory set of tires developed cupping during the first 30K miles or so. Replaced the bad tires at about 40K and now I am afraid these are going to do the same thing. In particular, on the original tires there was a rhythmic "clapping" noise that seemed to come from the driver side front tire. It was there when I first noticed the cupping on the prior set of tires. Vibrations appeared as well eventually. Also, you could feel the cupping when you ran your hand over the treads.

Now after replacing the cupped tires, I hear this same rhythmic noise which certainly cannot be from cupping on a new set of tires. Not enough miles yet for them to develop the problem. Alignment was checked when tires replaced and is within specs.

Also, when I go very slow, every rotation there is a "rough spot" feel that occurs. I feel it in the steering wheel and from the road. Clearly this is associated with the clapping noise I hear.

In reading some other posts it sounds like cupping is not uncommon on the RAM. In my case it seems to be caused by something mechanical.

My questions:

1) Has anyone else had this trouble?

2) Anyone know any cause for cupping associated with the suspension or other mechanical aspects of the steering, etc.?

3) What might be the likely fix?

Thanks.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:09 AM
jroy
Professional

Is the truck 2wd or 4wd?

Old 01-13-2010, 11:19 AM
robert.menna@noblis.org

4WD Laramie. Sorry forgot to include that.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:25 AM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would have to be an alignment problem, if it is doing it with a new set of tires. If it were the wheels, they would have to be bent and it would be strange to have multiple wheels bent without the vehicle being in an accident or something! I would get a second opinion on the alignment!

Old 01-13-2010, 11:28 AM
jroy
Professional

Originally Posted by robert.menna@noblis.org
Also, when I go very slow, every rotation there is a "rough spot" feel that occurs. I feel it in the steering wheel and from the road.
I think that would be a bearing or CV joint?

Old 01-13-2010, 11:29 AM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

check the alignment, also you may want to check out your shocks. If you had a shock go bad, the tire would want to bounce, possibly causing a cupping issue. Also inspect your ball joints and tie rod ends for damage. Just a thought.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:17 PM
robert.menna@noblis.org

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out as soon as I get some time.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:31 PM
signblaster
Default same deal

I just bought my 2007 Ram 1500 (12-22-2009) and noticed the same problem. The tires cup, mainly on the drivers side, had the dealer do an alignment and balance the tires prior to buying it. I still notice a vibration in the front end, It doesn't pull left or right, but when you are in a turn at highway speed 70-80 mph you really notice this vibration? any additional thoughts from anyone??? Also was the general consensus about the gas tank overflowing when filling up that the tank needed replace? or did anyone ever come up with a vent hose that needed blown out? Thanks.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:38 PM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like the 3.5 gen Rams (06-08) have always had quirky front suspensions. If you know a trustworthy mechanic (not the dealer) have them look the front suspension over and check the alignment and look for any worn components.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:12 AM
dedogg
Record Breaker

my 08 did the same thing with the stock tires, once i went to zeons havent had a problem. did you replace with the same tire?????

Quick Reply: 2007 1500 20" wheels - chronic tire cupping