3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2007 1500 20" wheels - chronic tire cupping

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 06:51 PM
audiobeast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My stock tires had these problems. I have 40k on them and two of them have serious dome issues. I even have some of the belt showing through on one of them. Im getting some new Nitto Trail Graps next. I hate those factory tires.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:03 PM
08arhemi
Professional

Just got back from the dealer and same problem...cupping pretty bad. Notice it around 15-20mph and only in right hand turns. Seems to be the drivers side front tire making the sound.

I can also "feel" this in my steering wheel and gas pedal, but not in the brake pedal. Same symptoms with everyone else?

Tires are def cupped. After I first heard the noise I checked the tires and noticed the drivers side front was missing the weight. Had them rebalanced and still got the same noise.

Thanks gents...

Old 09-22-2010, 04:29 PM
DMoneyAllstar

I just bought my '08 Ram 4x4 Laramie with 21k miles on 20's 4-door and Goodyear HP 275/60-20's YESTERDAY. I get it onto smooth highway at 50mph and faster and she vibrates. And this is 15-minutes after I drove it off the lot. So, I took it to Belle Tire thinking I just needed balancing, and...here I welcome myself to the same issue frequently talked about in this forum -- tire cupping.

Awesome.

The front passenger side is the worst, cupped visibly inside and outside. The other 3 tires are, too. Flatter in the middle.

Plus, the drivers' side tie rod end needs replacing, too. Not sure if that added to anything, or, if it was caused by the vibrating. Bad tie rods scare me, since they can send the truck out of control in a hurry.

Luckily, the dealership is going to pick-up the truck, fix the tie-rod, inspect everything else, and give me 4 new tires. But it seems, from what I've read, this will happen again. Awesomer!!! Where was this info 48-hrs ago? And why does Dodge not fix the issue?????

The dealer tech will go through the ball joints, tie rods, and wheel bearings. And I think I'll upgrade my shocks just to be sure / lucky, too. What shocks are people upgrading to?

Thanks,

Dan in NW Ohio

Old 09-22-2010, 05:04 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Put some good shocks like Bilstiens HD truck shocks on there. These are so much stronger then the stock shocks which push together real easy. These will help keep the tires planted on the ground. The springs are too soft too in my opinion. They do this for the pansies that want a truck to ride like a Town Car.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:01 AM
DMoneyAllstar

According to my engineering buddy from Goodyear Tire, they would refer to this type of tire wear as "facet wear". This would be in the shoulders, where every other block is worn down more than the adjacent blocks. This uneven wear causes the vibrations.

They consider "cupping" to be areas of fast wear distributed around the tire, mainly near the C/L.

Dealership is loaning me a 2011 Ram 1500 while they're replacing ym rubbers and fixing my tie rod. Nice!

What is the Bilstein part number for their HD shocks to fit the '08 Ram 1500 Laramie 4wd? I can't find anything online except for 2WD or Megacab.

Thanks!

Old 09-23-2010, 11:02 AM
pjordan4477
Veteran

Wow, lots of opinoins on this one, and I hope I can shed some light on this issue for you all.

Cupping which we in the tire biz call "chopping" is the uneven wear of the outisde row of tread.

Causes:

1. Light vehicle. (happens a lot on the back tires of a front wheel drive car)
2. Improper PSI in tire.
3. Balancing (uncommon)

These stock tires are wide so proper inflation is key. The old 32-35 PSI belief is wrong (sorry grandpa). You must go by what the tire says. It's marked that way for best tire perfomance. I don't have to look to tell you these 20s are prolly a MAX Cold Air pressure of 44PSI.

Cure this issue:

Inflate properly, and cross rotate every 6,000 miles (cross coming forward). Chopping is almost always a weight and air issue.

I've seen this on the over sized AT tires too.

Last edited by pjordan4477; 09-27-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Matt99
Champion

I thought you werent supposed to cross when rotating because the tires could separate?

Old 09-27-2010, 11:49 AM
pjordan4477
Veteran

Originally Posted by Matt99
I thought you werent supposed to cross when rotating because the tires could separate?

What??? I've never heard that...ever. But these aren't directional tires so there shouldn't be any issue with cross rotating.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:53 PM
nateroach
Veteran

I am experiencing the same thing on my 07 with slight "chopping" on the front tires. It is not too severe and I haven't noticed any vibration. I rotated the tires on Saturday, so we will see how it fares. I am not too concerned with the issue right now, as they are still the stock GY HP's, and I am looking forward to getting rid of those.

nateroach

Old 09-28-2010, 09:09 AM
DMoneyAllstar

Update: Shuman Dodge in Commerce Twp, Mi did me a good deed -- they put 4 new Goodyear Wrangler HP's on my truck and fixed the tie rod. Trucks rides like new again. =) Just plan on rotating my tires every oil change. I <3 this truck!

Quick Reply: 2007 1500 20" wheels - chronic tire cupping