3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Powder Coating Durability?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 03:16 PM
aidenhardcore
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powder Coating Durability?

So finnaly this monday Im having my stock 20s powder coating black to match truck. This place is doing it pretty cheap and seems like a good company.200 for all wheels sandblasted and coated black. They said that powdercoating would last and not chips or anything like that. . Its still winter and want to know how durable is it. Will it ever chip or flake and get scratches. My wheels now get some abuse from the winter and stuff and just making sure powdercoating will last and keep my wheels nice and black and durable for years ro come. Any help would be great thanks.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Matt99
Champion

well I know that I'm the one who halfway convinced you to do this, but heres what ive gotten from it...

they coat the entire wheel, so it is "sealed" from the outside elements. Its actually charged to the metal and then melted on, so it will not chip off like paint, and is abrasion resistant. Powdercoating was developed as a dry paint, but is mainly used specifically to protect parts. They use it for racecars and rockcrawlers. Ford/GM/Chrysler is (or was) in a joint venture use powdercoating for their vehicles, due to its resistance to salt and acids.

Those chrome rims that you have and i had start getting these spider webs throughout the material. I live in the South and mine was getting bad. You will never have to worry about that, and if anything happens to a rim, go pay 50 bucks and itll look like new again. Cant do that with yours right now

Old 01-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by aidenhardcore
So finnaly this monday Im having my stock 20s powder coating black to match truck. This place is doing it pretty cheap and seems like a good company.200 for all wheels sandblasted and coated black. They said that powdercoating would last and not chips or anything like that. . Its still winter and want to know how durable is it. Will it ever chip or flake and get scratches. My wheels now get some abuse from the winter and stuff and just making sure powdercoating will last and keep my wheels nice and black and durable for years ro come. Any help would be great thanks.
You usually don't want to leave aftermarket wheels and specially custom finished wheels on during winter, but you should be fine. Powdercoat for the most part is very durable. As long as you're not going through a bunch of rocks or heavy off road i wouldn't worry. Be sure to only use soap and water on the wheels though. I wouldn't use any wheel cleaners.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:38 PM
disturbedgator
Captain

yeah its pretty good stuff, i got it on my front bumper and no chips or scratches from tree limbs.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:40 PM
aidenhardcore
Captain

Thanks for the infor guys. And matt99, Yes when you posted your thread and sent me pics of the your coated wheels I had to now get them coated too lol. And now seeing that got hemi has the same wheels are ours and it coated I cant wait lol. I think its going to look sick. Thanks guy oh and 1 think. What kind of black should I go for. Matt your wheels looks more of a shiny color and got hemi's looks more flat black. IM kind of digging the flat black but like the shiny too. What do you think?

Old 01-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Matt99
Champion

mine are satin, between gloss and flat

I like that flat alot, but my truck is too shiny to get flat black (it looks better on trucks OTHER than black)

Old 01-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Matt99
Champion

Here....maybe thisll help:
FlatName:  got_hemi44-albums-my-ram-picture111.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  48.1 KB
SatinName:  1263934332.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  64.7 KB
GlossName:  45012d1252865688-fs-2007-up-gloss-b.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  51.6 KB

Old 01-23-2010, 05:05 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

I did flat on mine because all my accents are flat black. I don't have any gloss black on the truck. I think gloss wheels looks good on black trucks.

Last edited by Got_Hemi44; 01-23-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:32 PM
EJM05
Record Breaker

Go with the satin black. after seeing your truck today it would look good with the satin black. Enjoy my rims for awhile.

Got_Hemi44 im keeping my aftermarket rims on for the winter. never taking them off.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:46 AM
AlbertaRAM
Professional

This topic is exactly what I needed! Just bought a set of stock painted 20's and will be going satin myself after seeing what they look like (my truck is black, otherwise I would have went flat).
Thanks for the pics guys

Quick Reply: Powder Coating Durability?