3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to do a cam swap on a HEMI

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011 | 08:25 PM
hemibee

pm sent

Old 02-12-2011 | 12:53 PM
mbaseball3
Veteran

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Well you could always bring it down here and I could change it all for you. Ive got everything to do it and have done a more than a few. PM sent BTW. Anyone else who wants this tool please LMK.

If anyone is in the process or market to change a cam, you will need to change the valve springs also.

You can do this two ways, either on the block or off the block.

If you pull the heads to do it you need to replace the head bolts, head gaskets, intake gaskets and exhaust manifold gaskets.

Or you can use the tool I have to change the springs on the heads on the block and leave all of that mentioned above alone.

I have that tool for sale so if you are interested please let me know.
I thought some time ago I read that no other mods have to be performed for a cam upgrade. Up until you get into the more aggressive cams that do need upgrades. Weed or anyone else care to share more info on this? I'd like to do a cam upgrade but preferably without other parts needing to be changed out also as I'm sure the cost goes up.

Old 02-14-2011 | 01:23 PM
weedahoe
|
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

If you are changing out the cam you will have to change out the valve springs and push rods. You will also need to replace the cam and crank bolt. All of that right there is $100.

Head gaskets and head bolts are optional because you do not HAVE to pull the heads but it does make it easier. Thats another $100 in gaskets and bolts.

But valve springs, push rods, cam/crank bolt are mandatory.

Quick Reply: How to do a cam swap on a HEMI