3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I know I know annoying level thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010 | 03:12 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MOPARPAT
Was wondering with a 2" lift, when you tow a 9000 lb boat or an enclosed car trailer will it make the back end lower than the front..
very minimally. when i tow my wifes horse trailer (10,000lbs or so loaded) it barely squats in the back. if you are real concerned about that though, get yourself some airbags.

Old 01-28-2010 | 03:31 PM
MOPARPAT
Rookie

Originally Posted by cwboyjohnny24
Pat, it will make the rear end sag. You may not have as much a problem as us 1500's since you have a 2500 but you could put the lift on then like Shiloh said, get some helpersprings for the back or even some airbags. If you're hauling that much weight I KNOW the 2500 can do it, but I personally would already have something on the rear of the truck (helper springs or airbags) anyways.
Well crap, always something, did not want to do that much mods to truck, just looks so kool. level like that with a little bigger tire, ,Thanks for the info guys

Old 01-28-2010 | 03:58 PM
MOPARPAT
Rookie
Default 2" lift

I guess I could hook up the boat and see how level it is and go from there

Old 01-28-2010 | 04:05 PM
Deviate
Professional

The DIY that azskater87 linked is the one I followed when I did my level. I put on the 2.5" daystar spacer. I rented the coil spring compressor from Advance Auto and bought a pittman arm puller ($17 or so) because they didn't have any to rent.

A couple of tips:

1. Trying to beat on the suspension to get the ball joint to come loose sucks. The pittman arm puller worked great.
2. When you unbolt the brake caliper, make sure you have something to set it on within reach! Having to try to hold it and stretch for something to support it is not easy.
3. Get longer shocks. I drove around for a few days with the stock shocks after the level. That is one seriously stiff ride!
4. Definitely get the alignment, which you already know. :-)

When I first installed the spacers the front seemed to sit higher than the rear. But after a few days/week they seem to have settled in and it looks nice and level now.

It's definitely a job that would be easier with a friend, but I was able to do it by myself just fine.

Old 01-28-2010 | 05:16 PM
Matt99
Champion

I just looked at the pictures from that install write up and then went out and measured mine...i have 2" sitting below the spring bucket...they must have accidentally sent me 3" spacers and thats why Im having trouble AND my front end is higher than my rear w/ blocks

Old 01-28-2010 | 06:09 PM
grap660
Rookie

i bought the fatbob leveling kit for 100 bucks altogether got a great deal on it leveled out my truck fine and it wasnt a pita to instal only took 1 and 30 min for me and my dad to install and then had to wait 2 weeks to get it aligned

Old 01-28-2010 | 07:58 PM
Desert_Ram
Veteran

yes get the pittman arm puller makes life so much easyier!!!

Old 01-28-2010 | 08:03 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

Matt, brother I think you got the wrong spacers for some reason. I know we discussed this but your truck shouldn't sit higher in the front than the back with 2" spacers and 1.5 blocks in the back, there's no way. You should actually still have a rake on the front.

Old 01-28-2010 | 09:14 PM
Matt99
Champion

Originally Posted by cwboyjohnny24
Matt, brother I think you got the wrong spacers for some reason. I know we discussed this but your truck shouldn't sit higher in the front than the back with 2" spacers and 1.5 blocks in the back, there's no way. You should actually still have a rake on the front.
Haha yea...well its riding a little better now, its settled a little bit i guess...still not right though

Quick Reply: I know I know annoying level thread