3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 09:25 AM
JCinDE
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change

It's time for an oil change. One of the things I regret about living in a crowded little suburban development is the lack of space to do this myself, but such is life.

My question to the forum is, "What would really be best for my truck?" It's an '03 model with a little over 42000 miles. Its primary purpose is commuting about 15 miles each way, primarily in the colder months December - March. (I mostly ride my motorcycle during warmer months.)

For a few years now, I've been running with Penzoil 5w-30 synthetic blend, the Jiffy Lube special. Since I've started reading this forum and other sources, I've heard a lot about Royal Purple. I strongly suspect it's just synthetic oil with clever marketing.

I intend to keep my truck for as long as I possibly can. "Paid off" is a great feeling and besides...I just love my truck. I know that oil can play a big role in keeping it rolling. So what do you think? Should I step up to a full synthetic? Is Royal Purple really something special or just a pretty label?

Old 01-30-2010, 09:50 AM
disturbedgator
Captain

I have only used twice, since ive had my truck. I too have really low miles and have been with the military for more than half the time ive had it. so i cant give you any advice on our trucks. BUT my buddy that races sprint cars, uses it, and says alot of the people around the pits use it and swear by it. Sh^ts gotta be good to be successful in a purple bottle.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:23 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '03 has 103K on it. I use Pennzoil Lizards, 5w-30. Personally, I'd never take my truck to Jiffy Lube. If there was no place do DIY, I'd choose the dealer or some mom-and-pop before I'd even let Jiffy Lube look at my truck. Fortunately for me, I can DIY in my driveway. Way cheaper and I know who did it.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Peronsally I like the Mobil 1 full synthetic. You can get it at Walmart for around $20 for a 5 quart bottle and about $5 each for the additional quarts, which is as much as the dyno or blends cost at places like the Pepboys or Autozone that is near me.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:41 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

I just made the switch to Royal Purple for the last oil change. Its great, but i wouldnt swear by it. Most of the synthetics are the same. I think RP is probably the best of them for sure, but its hard to justify the $8/qt pricetag when you gotta buy 7 qts. I switched from Mobil 1 full synthetic

Old 01-30-2010, 12:43 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

Stick with what you've been using. There really are no bad oils out there.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Originally Posted by AF_HEMI
but its hard to justify the $8/qt pricetag when you gotta buy 7 qts. I switched from Mobil 1 full synthetic
The price is what keeps me from trying the RP. The only store around here that carries it is the Pepboys and they want $8.99 a quart. At 7 quarts it would cost double what I am paying for the Mobil 1.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:50 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Exactly, the only bad thing about RP is the cost at 9 bux a qrt around here. They used to sell it in a 1gal bottle and was cheaper but quit.

Only Oriellys around here has RP and everyone has Mob1.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:52 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I get mine changed at the dealer every 3K for about $20. Today's dino oil is just fine.

Quick Reply: Oil Change