3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thermostat? Or am I just messed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010 | 08:17 PM
John M
Record Breaker

Your fan clutch may be bad, engaging all the time and keeping the radiator too cool at idle.

Cars with electric fans warm up faster since they stay completely off.

Old 02-07-2010 | 12:07 AM
Nate769
|
All Star

I do notice when I start my truck that the fan is really loud, then it goes somewhat soft....:S Now that I think about it, should there be a reason for the fan to come on when you start the truck? Its not like its cold...

Old 02-07-2010 | 12:14 AM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

On occasion mine does that too and my old F-250 does it everytime you start it, just the slightest bit of throttle when it's loud like that and it sounds like a jet engine blowin! lol O btw on the cold thing all I can say is when it's that cold you should expect it. I mean 2-3 minutes of cold ain't bad, it's been proven you won't freeze your ***** off until it's much much colder Manswers said so.

Old 02-07-2010 | 12:18 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator

It is normal for the fan to be locked at first then after a minute loosen up. The fluid has to move around in the clutch.
My Hemi is the same way. They don't generate much heat at idle. Under a load, driving it will warm up much faster. Just the way they are.

Old 02-07-2010 | 12:19 AM
Nate769
|
All Star

Originally Posted by Shiloh 24
On occasion mine does that too and my old F-250 does it everytime you start it, just the slightest bit of throttle when it's loud like that and it sounds like a jet engine blowin! lol O btw on the cold thing all I can say is when it's that cold you should expect it. I mean 2-3 minutes of cold ain't bad, it's been proven you won't freeze your ***** off until it's much much colder Manswers said so.

Mine does it all the time now that i think about it, and its loud! like those fans are running as if the engine is boiling. Which would not make sense in cold. I know, I guess im just im just having trouble adjusting from my old jetta. That jetta would be toasty when i got in, i guess its just what i expect after having it for so long...

Its also -15 or so right now lol...any colder and that block heater is going to have to work haha...lets just say even 1 minute out there in that cold and blue jeans, they start to go missing haha

Quick Reply: Thermostat? Or am I just messed?