3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

20inch Spare Wheel Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 02:43 PM
extremis
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20inch Spare Wheel Mounting

Hi everyone, My 04 1500 4x4 originally came with 17" wheels. When I bought it used, the dealer put 08 take off's on the truck. Of course, still had the 17" spare. I picked up a used 20" off an 06 for my spare (aluminum, looks like my chrome 08's). I went to mount it up under the box, but the hanger bit on the end of the cable is too large to go through the center of the wheel.

My question is to all you factory 20" wheel trucks... is your 20" spare a steelie or matching your other wheels? As well, what does the hanger bit on the end of the cable look like? I guess I'll have to rig up something (adapter, drill holes and bolt it) to make mine work. I was just curious of something changed, or how the factory setup was. The guy I bought the wheel from said his came with 5 aluminum wheels from Dodge.

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2010, 03:28 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

my spare is steel. bottom of winch looks a lot like this

Old 02-15-2010, 03:35 PM
SlvrRAM05
Rookie

My spare is a steelie...

You can keep your 17" spare if you change the tire to match the o/d of your 20s if it's an issue...just go to your local used tire shop and pick up a cheapy in the right size...

Old 02-15-2010, 05:10 PM
EASTTEXASDODGE08
Professional

deff steel like you said you wont be able to fit that spare underneath there jst gonna have to ride with it in your bed. unless you rig something up so it will hold up there

Old 02-15-2010, 05:52 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

steelie...i need a few too if anybody local know where i could grab 2 i want them to goto the strip with or maybe even a set of 17's to use for the drag strip....

Old 02-15-2010, 08:43 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Big huge heavy steel 20" wheel. First time I saw mine I didn't even think they made steel wheels for regular automobiles that big. Unless you can find them cheaper at a junkyard or something, they're all over ebay, but not all that cheap.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:54 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yep, just the 20" steel spare. If you wanna drive down to seattle, we could try trading spare wheels and see if it works. I wouldnt mind havin a 17" spare since thats what my wheels are now.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:35 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

I have an 04 and the 20" spare is a steelie. I wish I had a 17 to put under there because my new exhaust is too close to my tire. I have the pipe wrapped with header wrap and it seems to be preventing any problems from heat. But I'd rather have the smaller rim with a slightly smaller diameter tire to create a little space down there. I'd never run a spare longer than it would take to get a flat fixed anyway and I've seen plenty of spares in other vehicles that are smaller than the other 4 wheels and tires.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:35 PM
snake doctor

Great question, I just bought a new set of /Michlins for my 2009 and figured since I was spending way to much money I should go ahead and replace the spare as well. being excessively analSince I also purchased a new 20" matching factory rim to go along with the rest of the set. Boy was I surprised to learn that the spare hanger will not fit through the IDReally makes me miss the days when Tom Elliston ran Mopar R&D. From an engineers point of view, cutting the sides down enough to allow passing the hanger through the 20" wheel would definitely weaken the hangers design and pose serious structural concerns. Brings tears to my eyes thinking about the spare coming loose while doing 90. Any hanger modification would have to include capturing the 20" rim in a way that prevented scoring the "plastic" wheel cover as well. If anyone has a solution other than chaining it in the bed, I would like to hear about it. Barring any new information I intend to manufacture a solution if necessary. Hard to believe that I am the only one that would like to have a real tire for a spare. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: 20inch Spare Wheel Mounting