3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Went for a little trailride..

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 12:59 AM
DodgeThunder
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Went for a little trailride..

Went for a ride with some buddies yesterday, excellent weather, it was sunny all day and no snow on the trail. It was my dodge, a friends landcruiser and a jeep xj. We also met another jeep yj and landcruiser off the local 4x4 forum up here. The body lift helped alot, only slammed the front bumper once going through a washout but the hitch dragged coming out of almost every one so Im in the process of making a custom hitch that will be behind the bumper and then the reciever behind my plate and Ill hinge the license plate so I can just fold it down when I put a ball in the reciever to tow a trailer. We went through about a dozen pretty good washouts and one guy was an excellent spotter so thankfully there was no body damage this time. I tagged the crossmember for my IFS a couple times and dented it a bit so this week Im going to pick up my 35" bfg A/Ts for a bit more clearance and get them mounted in time for next weekends trip. Heres a few pictures of the dodge, next time im gonna try and get more pictures but I forgot my camera so this is just what the other guys got of my truck.

Pretty good articulation in the rear for stock suspension!! Front is lacking horribly, stupid IFS!!!

Old 02-22-2010, 01:23 AM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker

Nice ride man, looks like a lotta fun. Will be nice gaining the extra clearance with the new tires but articulation up front will be a killer on you.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:54 AM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe thats the first Ram Ive seen with the same exact stocker 17's as me!! Looks like some fun!! I miss wheeling, real bad. I was in a local "club" back when I had my f150 and blazer, but I was way outta my league. Still had a lotta fun though, they did the technical stuff like it looks like yall were doing.

Ive been saying i wont wheel mine till its paid off, but with these new treads, that itch might be gettin scratched here soon!!

Old 02-22-2010, 02:12 AM
DodgeThunder
Veteran

Joe hemi your just down in washington, if you ever come up for a vacation we could deffinitely hook up and go for a cruise through the mountains. Theres another forestry road that takes you up to some natural hotsprings, awesome camping trip!! I was up there last october and it was the best trip yet, just sit in the tubs all night with everyone and drink beer!! This was the first trip where the dodge has seen anything technical, usually its just logging roads. I was hesitant at first but after getting through the first washout no problem and over a 3 foot diameter rock to climb out I really found out what the truck is capable of and will be going on more runs like this one. I got into 4x4ing when I was a teenager through this club. I had a lifted 87 F150 that I put a solid front axle in, that thiing went anywhere. Im deffinitely thinking about a solid axle swap on this truck but its a bit more involved then the swap I did on the F150, same basic idea though.

4.7ram you HAVE to get out and do some trail runs, thats what the trucks for right!! It is amazing how relaxing it is to get out in the bush away from cell reception and idiots driving in traffic jams..

Ill get the video off my buddy of me going through that washout, its way better then the picture, then you can see the extent of the chit we went through, everyone else had jeeps or small suvs, they had no problems but I was freaking with a few inches of clearance on each side, a dirt wall on one side and a buncha rocks on the other lol.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:26 AM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker

haha yea I'd consider that, it's beautiful up there. Gotta get my passport though just to go up there now! lol, stupid politics. Can't wait to see that vid tho!

Old 02-22-2010, 02:27 AM
DodgeThunder
Veteran

Heres a good pictures showing us getting back into the washout on the way back to the main trail, this is the one with the articulation. The approx. 3 foot rock is on the other side of the jeep, his right front tire just came down off it..

Yah the politic bull**** with the border is ridiculous. I had to pass up a few things down there since the rules changed cause i dont have a passport..

Old 02-22-2010, 02:43 AM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star

I almost got to doing the axle swap on my 89 f150, then my 95 2dr blazer almost got it too. My old Ford was a beast, that 3spd/granny gear was the **** for creeping up and over rocky conditions. Plus, it sounded purty sweet too: Flowtech headers, gutted cat intoa 40series duals. Threw some 31/10.50 Buckshot mudders on there, went more places than I shoulda been, haha.

My blazer would go to. I slapped on some half-azz 30/9.50 mudders on it, and off we went. I did get some rockrash on that, got kicked off a rock I was picking on. Oh well, I called it my beauty mark, haha.

Ive been trying to dig up some old pics myself, but I believe they were all on my old desktop that crashed and burned. Maybe Ill find the memory card/camera I had back then, Id like to see those old pics...

Old 02-22-2010, 02:50 AM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star

This is the only pic I could find of the old ford, on my Myspace of all places...

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...mageID=3751909

The plates read "BGTMFUN" boy oh boy did it live up to that name

Old 02-22-2010, 02:56 AM
DodgeThunder
Veteran

Yah man those old fords were the ****, I had a 5.0L, Auto trans which was ****ty, headers into true duals with flowmaster 40s to.. Those things howl eh!! 6" lift with 35x12.5 bfg muds.. Its awesome when you can find the pics after years and years. I can only find a couple of the ford, thats why I make sure to take a ****load of pics of the dodge now. That blazer would have been nice for wheeling, short wheelbase and small. You can get into alot of technical spots but they are brutal for camping cause theres no room for your gear, thats why Ive always had trucks. Ive been looking at gettin another truck for strictly offroading so I can flip it and not give a ****.. Either a mid 80s chev single cab long box or late 80s/early 90s F250 single cab long box, but then I gotta screw around with another solid axle swap and dana 60s aint cheap.

Ah sweet picture.. I love those trucks, they are decent on the outside but you can smash them and it doesnt matter and the interiors are still really nice a cozy for those long trips down logging roads..

Old 02-22-2010, 03:03 AM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 4.7Ram5.7Rango
This is the only pic I could find of the old ford, on my Myspace of all places...

The plates read "BGTMFUN" boy oh boy did it live up to that name

haha great ride! Gotta miss the old box look. I've got a 78 jeep Cherokee that I eventally wanna do a diesel swap with. Turn it into my offroad buddy. I'ma need to start gettin a few more paychecks before that happens tho