3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Firestone Destination A/T's

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firestone Destination A/T's

Anyone had any experience with them?? I've never owned a Firestone tire. After all the crap they went through back in the late 90's, I've just steered clear of them. But now they seem to be a tire that looks decent at a good price. Just wondering if anyone has used them before. How good is the traction? How long do they tend to last?

Old 03-02-2010, 06:36 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had them on my old s10. I absolutly loved them. Also, back in the 90's, they shared the blame with ford quite abit. I would have bought them to replace my old sh!tty BFG Ats I had on but I wanted a more agressive look so I went with the Destination M/Ts

If you buy them, the cheapest I've found them is at roadwaywholesaletire.com and of course check and make sure you the the LT version and not the P since they make em in both.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:39 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker

Oh, the traction was great on the s10. I went through Va clay/mud in 2WD while building a new road and never once got stuck. We had a huge ice storm too and I stuck to the ground quite nicely. Now grated, a totally different vehicle, but still a great tire. Also, I think they have a rather big mileage warranty as well for the tread. I sold the truck a year after I bought the tires so can't say how long the tread lasts.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by JoeHemi
I had them on my old s10. I absolutly loved them. Also, back in the 90's, they shared the blame with ford quite abit. I would have bought them to replace my old sh!tty BFG Ats I had on but I wanted a more agressive look so I went with the Destination M/Ts

If you buy them, the cheapest I've found them is at roadwaywholesaletire.com and of course check and make sure you the the LT version and not the P since they make em in both.
Yeah, I'm not to worried about mud anymore, kinda grew outta that. More for ice and snow. Being that I have the Mega Cab I hafta go with the E load rated tires too. I don't usally load up the truck so I could probably get away with D's if I needed to. I tow more than I haul.

Just checked out that site, not too bad a price. I did find them $20 cheaper @ onlinetires.com though. Guess I'll have to compare shipping costs. Thanks.

Last edited by Mega-Hemi; 03-02-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:49 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker

Yea thats right. I'd say go for a LT285/70/17 on your truck. I know they make the A/ts in that size with a load range E. Increase the footprint and the sidewalls have those protective ridges to diminish curb rash.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by JoeHemi
Yea thats right. I'd say go for a LT285/70/17 on your truck. I know they make the A/ts in that size with a load range E. Increase the footprint and the sidewalls have those protective ridges to diminish curb rash.
What are you a mind reader?? That's what I've been looking at all day. I also just started checking into the 305/79/17's. May have to do a level for them first though.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:58 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Very highly rated A/T tire. I almost never see a set on a truck however, more on AWD SUVs, but I've NEVER read a bad report on them. I looked into them when I put tires on my Grand Cherokee not too long back. Only negative I read is the ply is not that thick, and since I was replacing my BFGs on the Jeep because I was getting tired of plugging them, I opted for Nitto Terras. But if you don't intend to venture off road nor drive around a farm then you should be fine with them. My issue was driving around a 70 year old farm with roofing nails and sh*t all over the place. I take my truck up there and NEVER have an issue with my FCIIs, but the Jeep in far less time, I've had to do 4 plugs, three from around the farm and one on the highway during vacation. So I need the thicker ply rating...

Old 03-02-2010, 06:59 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker

hahaha...yeah not sure about the 305s. May wanna check if they'll even fit on the rim. If your truck came stock with the 265/70/17s then I think you have the 17X8.0in wheels. If the truck had the 245/70/17s then you've got the 17X7.5in wheels. Not sure if I'd want to run much bigger that a 285 on the stock wheels but I really have no idea what is physically possible. Plus, no level would be required for the 285s

Old 03-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Very highly rated A/T tire. I almost never see a set on a truck however, more on AWD SUVs, but I've NEVER read a bad report on them. I looked into them when I put tires on my Grand Cherokee not too long back. Only negative I read is the ply is not that thick, and since I was replacing my BFGs on the Jeep because I was getting tired of plugging them, I opted for Nitto Terras. But if you don't intend to venture off road nor drive around a farm then you should be fine with them. My issue was driving around a 70 year old farm with roofing nails and sh*t all over the place. I take my truck up there and NEVER have an issue with my FCIIs, but the Jeep in far less time, I've had to do 4 plugs, three from around the farm and one on the highway during vacation. So I need the thicker ply rating...
Thanks Hammer. I won't be on the farm for the next 2yrs at least. But, when I seperate from the military and head back to NY, I'll be around it alot again. I actually grew up on a farm and my parents still run it. Great advice, I'll definately look into that. Thanks again

Last edited by Mega-Hemi; 03-02-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:26 PM
buganddoug
Professional

I have them on my 05 1500 ram and I love them. Great traction and quite on the road.
I all so had them on my 99 Ram and love them on that truck also. On my 99 ram I put about 45,000 miles on them and I would say I had little less than half tread left.
Now on my 05 Ram I have about 20,000 miles and they still look new.

Quick Reply: Firestone Destination A/T's