3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Installing Fogs behind the grill...help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 10:01 AM
V10Venom
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Fogs behind the grill...help!

I'm such a newb to wiring but ended up getting a couple KC lights for free but all the have are the positive and negative wiring coming off them so I need everything else. I wouldn't mind them turning on my with my brights, if that's the cheaper alternative and easier. But if it's about the same to do a switch, I can do that too. I have minimal experience with wiring but am technically inclined so just need some help from step 1. Thanks!!

Old 03-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

Running them with just a toggle is the easiest way but then you have to worry about all the current flowing through the switch. I'd suggest getting a relay from Walmart or if they got em at your local autoparts store, with a relay you can do just about anything you want as to when you want them to turn on. If you don't wanna be able to switch em on independently it's not hard at all to wire a relay to kick em on with brights or fogs. Just post exactly what you need help with and I'm sure I can help ya out, if I can't tell ya something I'm sure Dirty Dog can cuz he seems to be extremely good at wiring lights and such.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:11 AM
V10Venom
Captain

Originally Posted by Shiloh 24
Running them with just a toggle is the easiest way but then you have to worry about all the current flowing through the switch. I'd suggest getting a relay from Walmart or if they got em at your local autoparts store, with a relay you can do just about anything you want as to when you want them to turn on. If you don't wanna be able to switch em on independently it's not hard at all to wire a relay to kick em on with brights or fogs. Just post exactly what you need help with and I'm sure I can help ya out, if I can't tell ya something I'm sure Dirty Dog can cuz he seems to be extremely good at wiring lights and such.
Hmmm...all right, I think I'll go with wiring them into the brights. How would I go about that?

Old 03-03-2010, 10:16 AM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

To come on with the brights you will need a relay, there's no getting around it. You also have to choice to be able to flip them on or off with the brights active. All you need to do is wire the positive and and negative from the relay, then you run a wire from the hi-beam power wire to the relay or to the cab and install a toggle (this doesn't matter because there is almost no current flowing through the switch) and then to the relay. Then run the power wire from the relay to the positive on the lights and ground the negative of the lights to the crossmember the lights are bolted too. When I get home I can make up a much more detailed diagram but this is all I got for now, if something doesn't make sense just tell me and I'll try and explain it better.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:29 AM
V10Venom
Captain

Sounds good! I think it pretty much makes sense. So if I have power and negative wire, I can get away with just picking up a relay?

Old 03-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by V10Venom
Sounds good! I think it pretty much makes sense. So if I have power and negative wire, I can get away with just picking up a relay?
I'm not quite sure I understand what your asking there, the relay needs a 12v source to power it and when the relay detects a signal from the input wire (the high beam power wire) it signals it to allow the current to flow to the lights.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:59 AM
rocket23
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude your better off with a toggle switch for these lights. One cop sees them lights on with your high beams and you will get pulled over for excessive lighting. Thats why youy fogs go out when you put the high beams on. Ground your lights run a wire too the relay from ground (if it uses one) Next from your batt. run a wire to the relay. Third from your relay run a red wire too a toggle a good place is left side of the console. from the other side of toggle run too the pos. side too the relay and then too your lights. Personally I'd use an in line fuse 15 amp somewhere just in case something decides too start cooking. Personally I don.t remember that many wires for a relay They are usually in line much like the fuse would be. Now that your totally confused good luck with that.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:05 AM
bigbluemega
Amateur

How do your KC's fit? I was looking at the Daylighter with 130w bulbs but someone told me to buy the Hella 500 and put an HID kit in? Too many options!

Old 03-09-2011, 02:09 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

IMO, HIDs in the Hellas are the best way to go but some Hellas like mine cant fit HIDs

Old 03-09-2011, 06:24 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way around a relay. You can trigger a relay with your brights, but it can often be too much light. Mine are on a manual switch which triggers the relay.

Name:  KCHiLitesProject06Ovrheadswitch.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  29.4 KB

Finished product:

Name:  KCHiLitesProject15-2.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  70.4 KB

Name:  MeshGrilllights20.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  43.9 KB

Quick Reply: Installing Fogs behind the grill...help!