3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: Which one?
Nitto Trail Grapplers
53.85%
BFG Mud Terrain KM2
15.38%
Mickey Thompson MTZ
30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions needed for new tires: BFG vs Nitto vs MicThps

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 09:54 PM
AlbertaRAM
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions needed for new tires: BFG vs Nitto vs MicThps

So the time has come to buy some new (and larger) tires for my 1500.
I am going back to my stock 20's which have been freshly powdercoated.
Looking at a 35" x 12.5" x R20 tire and have narrowed it down to the following:

1. Nitto Trail Grappler

2. BFG Mud Terrain KM2

3. Mickey Thompson MTZ

I currently have a set of Mickey MTZ's on my truck now but in a 17" format (which will be for sale once the new ones go on) so I have experience with this tire and do like it. Seems to stay balanced well, superb life since mine haven't wore at all it seems, and they do great in our Canadian winters as well as mud.

However, I have no experience at all with the other 2 brands so I am hoping for some opinions

Oh and a question... I am guessing I might need some spacers installed to fit the 35's on? (do have a 3" level kit on the front also)
I am actually hoping they stick out a little bit since I have some Bushwackers going on and it might look weird if the Bushwackers stick out quite a bit more then the tires.

Thanks in advance guys!

Old 03-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

I have heard nothing but good things about the Trail Graps, BFG's have a high cleanout rate but the ones on my friends truck did not impress me at all, and I have heard the most good things about Micky T's. I'd say go with the Mickey's again.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:02 PM
senselesscreationz
Veteran

you all know what im voting for nitto absolutely love em and the performance is golden
Name:  011.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  74.1 KB
Name:  008.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  112.1 KB

Old 03-03-2010, 10:03 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Never been a fan of BFG. I have been a huge Mickey Thompson/Dick Cepek fan for years and have NEVER had an issue with a single one. Great wear is an understatement!
Currently running Cepek FCIIs with about 30k miles on them and almost no signs of wear.

I do have a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers on my Grand Cherokee and so far am very pleased. Have heard nothing but good things about the Trail Grapplers.

Tough call, but I'd say go with the MTZs...

Old 03-03-2010, 10:05 PM
draco8494
Captain

ide have to go BFG but good god thos nittos look f-in saweeet on sensless's truck...maybe ide go nitto

Old 03-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Bluesmanjesse
Record Breaker

I'm running the Nitto Terra graps,so far I love them,nice and quiet,great in the snow/ice,the wear seems good so far.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:38 PM
ManitobaHemi

I would go with nittos or the mickeys when you go aggresive pay attention to the sidewall lug. the meaner the better. let me kow when you want to sell those mickeys, i could always make a 12 hour trip to calgary for a deal!

Old 03-03-2010, 11:39 PM
sbsga
Professional

nitto is good as long as you stay away from the terra and mud grappler. BFG KM2 is a great tire but at 450 ea. its hardly economical to replace them. every 50k to 60k miles. if you do a lot of off-road driving i would say use the mickey thompson atz, i had a set and they have to be rotated more frequently than most tires but as long as you rotate them every 5,000 to 8,000 miles they have great wear longevity. if you do mostly on road driving and weekend off-road or just find yourself playing every once in a while I would say to look at khumo, im running stock 20"s like you with 35X12.50 road venture a/t and they have incredible grip(even in wet grass where most others just dig a ditch) they provide the big footprint you are looking for, are rated and warrantied for 60,000 miles(more than any of that size or nature) plus you dont feel them. even at 80 or 90 i dont get the crap beat out of me on the highway. also another plus is they are around 300 a piece which is about 100 dollars cheaper for similar tires in a 20 in. if you doubt their grip i pulled out an f350 dually that was sitting on its frame in a ditch, just put it in 4Low and i diddnt even spin a tire in wet grass on an incline.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:42 PM
sbsga
Professional

as for lift and spacers, 35x 12.50's will fit without spacers however if you are putting wide fender flares I would sugguest getting spacers or getting a wider rim to fit a wider tire

Old 03-03-2010, 11:49 PM
AlbertaRAM
Professional

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
I also forgot to mention that the price for all 3 tires is roughly the same (at least up here in Canada). I found a sweet price on the Nitto's from onlinetires.com but they don't have stock and seem to have HORRIBLE customer service since they never call back. I tried discounttire.com also but they can no longer ship Nitto products across the border (how gay is that?!).
For the guys with the Nitto Trail Grapps... any truth about how the tire rolls/flexes quite a bit when cornering at higher speeds? (due to 2 ply sides) Also, how is the wear so far on those?

Thanks again guys!

Quick Reply: Opinions needed for new tires: BFG vs Nitto vs MicThps