3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mopar cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 01:33 PM
animal99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BadHab1t
They have knock off versions made by bomz for the hemi for $80, and velocity for the4.7 for $70 bucks and they look just like the mopar and great quality... And no offense op but they pulled one over on u with the spacer it does nothing for newer trucks...but that mopar intake looks good but I couldn't shell out that kinda money when they make ones just like it for a fraction of the price and the quality is good before someone says well u get what u pay for ...

Do you have a link to the velocity CAI for the 4.7?

Old 03-19-2013, 02:54 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why bother buying Mopar CAI? Mopar is generally over priced and out dated performance technology, the only exception being is if you are trying to retain your factory warranty without a big hassle from the dealership...

Only Mopar Branded product I've ever purchased is a Hat... and that effin thing fell apart after a year of weekend wearing... lol

Old 03-19-2013, 03:25 PM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yeah your better off buying the stuff from home depot or lowes and making your own.It'll work just the same

Old 03-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Van the Man
I'd been thinking about this for a while - I drive my truck like crazy (91K mi in 2 1/2 yrs.) and had put a Flowmaster 40 series on it back in '08 and while it sounded like a Hemi (finally) it made a crazy whining noise as that beautiful engine was trying to breathe thru the factory box. So, I pulled the trigger on this:

and, OH MY GOD!!

I bet it added 15-20 hp, dropped the rpm's to under 2K at 75 mph. I floor it at highway speeds and it absolutely flies away like a freakin' jet!!

the kit from your local Dodge dealer also comes with a 1" throttle body spacer:

it came with some ridiculously easy to follow instructions and took maybe an hour to install.
I had looked at some other kits (K&N, AirRaid) but, for the money, including the spacer, it was a no brainer to go with the Mopar one.

oh, and the list was like $430, but if you know your parts guy, or if he is open to negotiation, you can Jew 'em down to way, way under $400 bucks (way under!!)

HIGHLY, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED IF YOU HAVE A HEMI

It may have picked you up some horsepower, but its impossible for a CAI to lower your rpm's at any speed. Something else going on there

Old 03-20-2013, 11:11 AM
broggyr
Professional

...unless the increased power is allowing the same speed in a higher gear...

Old 03-20-2013, 11:18 PM
Old man with a Hemi2
Veteran

Originally Posted by broggyr
...unless the increased power is allowing the same speed in a higher gear...

At 75 Mph he's gonna be in the highest gear he has no matter whether there's a CAI or not

Old 03-21-2013, 11:18 AM
broggyr
Professional

I agree with that.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:46 PM
redramhemi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where can I get the knock off version of Mopar cold air intak

where? can I find a knock off version of the Mopar cold air intake for a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

Originally Posted by BadHab1t
They have knock off versions made by bomz for the hemi for $80, and velocity for the4.7 for $70 bucks and they look just like the mopar and great quality... And no offense op but they pulled one over on u with the spacer it does nothing for newer trucks...but that mopar intake looks good but I couldn't shell out that kinda money when they make ones just like it for a fraction of the price and the quality is good before someone says well u get what u pay for ...

Quick Reply: Mopar cold air intake