3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mopar cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Van the Man
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mopar cold air intake

I'd been thinking about this for a while - I drive my truck like crazy (91K mi in 2 1/2 yrs.) and had put a Flowmaster 40 series on it back in '08 and while it sounded like a Hemi (finally) it made a crazy whining noise as that beautiful engine was trying to breathe thru the factory box. So, I pulled the trigger on this:
Name:  coldairintake001.jpg
Views: 2149
Size:  157.9 KB
and, OH MY GOD!!

I bet it added 15-20 hp, dropped the rpm's to under 2K at 75 mph. I floor it at highway speeds and it absolutely flies away like a freakin' jet!!

the kit from your local Dodge dealer also comes with a 1" throttle body spacer:
Name:  coldairintake003.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  105.2 KB

it came with some ridiculously easy to follow instructions and took maybe an hour to install.
I had looked at some other kits (K&N, AirRaid) but, for the money, including the spacer, it was a no brainer to go with the Mopar one.

oh, and the list was like $430, but if you know your parts guy, or if he is open to negotiation, you can Jew 'em down to way, way under $400 bucks (way under!!)

HIGHLY, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED IF YOU HAVE A HEMI

Old 03-04-2010, 06:26 PM
AsphaltCowboy
Veteran

i just ordered an AEM brute force that looks just like that but with the dryflow filter. maybe i chould get someone to make me a die cut MOPAR decal in red for it instead of the aem sticker. luckly we have a sign shop in house at work.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:28 PM
I DRIVE A HEMI RAM DAMNIT!
Rookie

What other mods do you have? that looks just like an AEM..spacer and all...thats the part that sucks about it..I want the AEM but I dont want a spacer...that is a nice lookin CAI tho~! Sweet~!

Old 03-04-2010, 06:49 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They have knock off versions made by bomz for the hemi for $80, and velocity for the4.7 for $70 bucks and they look just like the mopar and great quality... And no offense op but they pulled one over on u with the spacer it does nothing for newer trucks...but that mopar intake looks good but I couldn't shell out that kinda money when they make ones just like it for a fraction of the price and the quality is good before someone says well u get what u pay for ...

Old 03-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Van the Man

only performance mods are the flowmaster and the CAI. everything else I've done is cosmetic - tinted windows, tube steps, chrome mldgs, full chrome grille. I am running oversize tires (265's), 10 ply Yokohamas. filled out the wheel wells nicely -
Name:  truck.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  76.9 KB

Old 03-04-2010, 11:02 PM
AsphaltCowboy
Veteran

yea, all i have is the SI/DO flow master and my intake should be here any day now. tinted windows and a leveling kit on the cosmetic side. line-x is getting my truck in the morning to have the bed sprayed.

ETA: OP, did the truck get louder or quieter after the intake with the flowmaster?

Old 03-07-2010, 03:40 PM
AsphaltCowboy
Veteran

well, my intake looks exactly like yours, but with out the mopar sticker and the blue filter...
Name:  0_12.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  52.9 KB

Old 03-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jusjay727
They have knock off versions made by bomz for the hemi for $80, and velocity for the4.7 for $70 bucks and they look just like the mopar and great quality... And no offense op but they pulled one over on u with the spacer it does nothing for newer trucks...but that mopar intake looks good but I couldn't shell out that kinda money when they make ones just like it for a fraction of the price and the quality is good before someone says well u get what u pay for ...
Other than $15, what is the difference between the 2 and 3 pc. Bonz CAI?

Old 03-07-2010, 06:15 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well the tree pc goes down near your bumper. the two goes lower than the one but the one is all you need as shown above it goes right behind the headlight where its best at thats where your air comes in at for the most part....make sure you get one with a heat shield alot of guys are buying the 3 pc on ebay and it doesn't come with one cause it sits so low well if theres water getting in there being so low it will hydrolock your engine...i like the one pc with heat shield just like the one pictured...thats what mine is and its a mopar knock off but looks and performs the same

Old 03-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Oh, I didn't see a 1pc option on thier website, just 2 & 3. I'll have to go back and look again. Thanx.

Quick Reply: Mopar cold air intake