3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

possible issue....

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 02:25 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default possible issue....

okay lets see if i can explain this straight. ill use punctuation and try to spell correct. i have a issue with what i was told could be my tranny slipping. between 1 and 2 only at wot. it will hesitate and sound like suction. it did this maybe a few times after i got my exhaust 01/09 stopped when i got my intake 07/09. now when i got my s/c 01/10 it seems as its started again now it doesnt do this all the time and depending how long i been driving it it doesnt really do it...i have vids from today not really expressing the sound it makes but it does show the drop in rpms between the gears. ive ran it and smelled the trans oil and it smells fine does need to be changed its that time. i was told by a tech i know real well that it sounds to be slipping between 1st and 2nd and he would get it fixed asap...now he wants 1200 for a complete overhaul. im worried that it might not be the problem im curious if the exhaust could be bad or a cat being bad it almost sounds like a suction and then it hits gear and gets. wonder if bad back pressure could be the issue...i want a second if not 3rd opinion before i get to this let alone my wedding is in may and i dont have that kinda money laying around right now...and am hoping its something less expensive im curious if i get it flushed or drop the pan and change fluids and filters and see if there are any fragments in there... please watch the vids and if any of you can hear it or see it and know what i should do please tell me. i got rid of my 99 cause of tranny issues and dont want any with this...i still owe about 7k on it as ive only had it since 11/08 i dont want problems i like this one....i may try and get another vid later when i go pick up my son and see if it does it any different for the vid....thanks guys....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F_JX39BgVM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTy8EZ_cARw

Last edited by BadHab1t; 03-16-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:55 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see a slight hesitation right after the rpms initially drop, and you can see the rpm's drop like another 100 right after, but I don't see how that could really be caused by the transmission, I mean, the transmission wont control how well your engine can keep its rpms up, the transmission had already locked into 2nd when it had that 2nd little 100 rpm drop which leads me to believe that once it locked in your engine just didnt quite have enough power to increase from that rpm level so it dropped a little... do you know what I'm saying?

Old 03-16-2010, 03:09 PM
rocket23
Champion

ditto Not enough motor for the mods that you put in the truck. Jus your litterally maxin out your engine everytime your at wot. that said look at what the motor is being asked of it. pullind 5500lbs plus oversized tires,not too mention the extra's that were added later. Mileage is another factor on the transmission but a tranny flush only ensures fresh hydraulic fluid ( thats all a auto tranny is really a big *** pump fresh fluid better performance. Thats good news for you, get the flush only and see how it does. till then lay off the wot.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:14 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

i dont wot all the time at all but i do run it up there everyonce in a while...i mean who doesnt ...i dont think it has to do with my motor at all ive seen plenty of 4.7s do way better than i can....and like i said it doesnt do it all the time...and i have no slipping or shifting issues at all other than this...and i want ideas on what could rectify the situation....

Old 03-16-2010, 03:27 PM
rocket23
Champion

I got that nobody does wot all the time,but doing a flush and seeing what happens can't be a bad thing, not too expensive either

Old 03-16-2010, 03:29 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

its what i referred to a while back as hemi fart cause thats what it seemed to be...even though i dont have a hemi...it sounded like a fart still...

Old 03-16-2010, 03:32 PM
Scott@Superchips
Former Vendor

Agreed, flushing the trans is by far the cheapest insurance you can get and one less thing to factor in when diagnosing a problem.

"Update" I had one of my dodge guys look at the post and video's and he said it looked like it was shifting like it was stock to him and that everything looked fine.

Scott

Last edited by Scott@Superchips; 03-16-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:35 PM
SilsHemi
All Star

Shifts look good to me. Pretty nice for a 4.7 too. Don't see any slipping either. You're fine.

Sil

Old 03-16-2010, 03:36 PM
rocket23
Champion

lol I did hear that sucking sound are you sure thats not normal tb noise?! I kinda listen too wot's as a rule too hear that one sound between gears. Ever see/hear the chase seen in "bullet" with steve mcqueen? The best car chase and sound of a car chase i've ever seen/heard. But thats what i heard on your vid especially the 2nd one.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:38 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

i mean these aren't even runs they are just to show what it is doing i just dont want anything headed south on me....i get real good performance out of this truck for being a 4.7l it surprises me and some others....with few mods...

Quick Reply: possible issue....