3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need Help NOW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 06:56 AM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I feel for you....you've had some serious bad luck lately. Hopefully this wont break the bank trying to fix

Old 03-17-2010, 07:56 AM
bigdaddyII
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be interested in the outcome of this as I have been having that "feeling".

Old 03-17-2010, 01:14 PM
05hemi05
Rookie

well i checked it out this morning, fuses were fine and the fluid was fine too(correct level and no discoloration or smell). So the more i thought about it i realized maybe its a u-joint? idk, seems like its something with the driveshaft like dirtyjohn said. I had it towed to the shop around 9 this morning, they're putting on the gas level sensor that they didnt get around to last time, the bleached fried the old one up. and after that they're gonna start lookin into this new problem, as soon as i hear something ill let you guys know.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:58 AM
05hemi05
Rookie

just an update for you guys, it turns out its not the driveshaft, the shop its at now doesnt do transmissions so ill be getting it towed again to my local transmission shop. I already talked to the guy there and he said it sounds like it could be torque converter or transmission fluid pump, hpefully thats all it is or ill be forking over some money for a new transmission.

I should be finding out what is causing this today, as soon as i do ill get back on and let you guys know what it is.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:29 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

Dang this sucks.
I was thinking though even if it does have 67k on it you dont know what the guy before you did with the truck. He could have done some serious towing or hauling or just ripped the thing around all the time and now your stuck with the issues. It sucks to not have a warrenty but when you buy the truck from a dealer you dont know who had the truck before you.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:41 PM
05hemi05
Rookie

well the transmission shop ran diagnostics on it and it turns out its something internal. So starting tommorow they'll be tearing apart the tranny to figure out exactly what it is. Ive been tryin to be a little optimistic about this whole situation though so tommorrow ill be givin them a call about possibly upgrading to 4.56 gears and LSD while they've already got the thing apart there's a chance i might actually get insurance to cover this too so maybe this wont turn out bad after all lol ill be back with another update once i hear EXACTLY what happened to it.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:58 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

umm, 4.56 gears don't have anything to do with the transmission. but you certainly should upgrade the trans and/or TC while they're in there.

got 105k on mine, I don't think twice about flooring it...well, cept the fuel

Last edited by xfeejayx; 03-19-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:05 AM
05hemi05
Rookie

Originally Posted by xfeejayx
umm, 4.56 gears don't have anything to do with the gears. but you certainly should upgrade the trans and/or TC while they're in there.

got 105k on mine, I don't think twice about flooring it...well, cept the fuel
dang, im confused now, if there's one thing i dont have any experience in when it some to vehicles its trannies lol so how do the gears work? if i want to upgrade to 4.56 would i have to get a whole new transmission? and about how much would a new TC run and exactly what benefits would i get outa that, more power to the wheels im guessing?

i never thought twice about flooring it before either but after this you can bet ill probably never WOT again, at least with the stock tranny, its sad

Old 03-19-2010, 12:30 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

05Hemi, do you have anyone you can call to help you through this that has automotive experience? I say this only because you have a serious problem with the trans being tore down and there are some decisions you need to make about your truck's repair. The learning curve during a crisis is pretty damn steep. There is an oportunity if the the torque converter needs replacement to upgrade to a high performance converter. Good luck...

Old 03-19-2010, 01:04 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

4.56's are the gears in your rear differential.