3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need Help NOW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 10:57 PM
05hemi05
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help NOW!!!

So i just got my truck back saturday, someone had dumped bleach in my gas tank and i had to get the fuel system replaced. Then Monday i took it to get my at3030 muffler and magnaflow y-pipe welded on. Since i got it back i hadent had her at WOT cause i was nervous after all that had been done to it but tonight driving home from work i felt the need to open her up and hear that new exhaust. As soon as the light turned green i floored it, BUT as it was shifting from either 1st to 2nd OR 2nd to 3rd(im not sure what gear it was in) i heard a "clunk" sound, i guess you would call it and the DRIVE gear no longer worked. So i slowed to the side of the road, shut off the engine and reset the computer. I fired her back up and none of the gears are working. The truck runs fine but it wont go anywhere, its like all the gears are "neutral". Did i just f&%# up and blow my tranny?

NOTE: its an auto transmission. and a few days ago i noticed the bottom half of the tranny was "wet", i didnt see anything dripping though and the tranny was working fine.

So is it the tranny or could it be something else?! i cant believe all of this is happening to my new truck...

thanks for the help guys

Last edited by 05hemi05; 03-16-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:06 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn, did you get it towed yet? I would say your tranny blew up seeing that you arent getting any power to the wheels

Old 03-16-2010, 11:15 PM
05hemi05
Rookie

Originally Posted by JoeHemi
damn, did you get it towed yet? I would say your tranny blew up seeing that you arent getting any power to the wheels
not yet, its sitting at a ford dealership ironically enough, its the only place i had enough time to pull into before she came to a stop. ill be having it towed first thing in the morning.

How could the tranny just blow like that, i mean the hemi's have alot of power but the trannys should be able to handle it right? the only mods i had were CAI and at3030 exhaust, and the truck only had 67,000 miles...

Old 03-16-2010, 11:19 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker

Just curious, did you check the tranny fluid after it went out?

Old 03-16-2010, 11:22 PM
whipkeysd
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe the problem you had a while back when you were coasting was an early sign of something bigger. Sucks you've had such bad luck since you bought the truck.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:23 PM
05hemi05
Rookie

nope, i thought about it but it was dark out, the light under the hood doesnt work and i didnt have a flashlight so it was hard to see anything under the hood. i guess i should've given it a shot though, maybe ill check it befor ei have it towed tommorrow just to get an idea of what it could be.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:25 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker

Yea I'd say have that checked as soon as you can if just to help rule out some possibilities. I saw this link posted awhile ago. Might be able to help ya out if any of those symptoms are relative to your problem. Diff trans but same idea

http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/

Last edited by JoeHemi; 03-16-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 05hemi05
How could the tranny just blow like that, i mean the hemi's have alot of power but the trannys should be able to handle it right? the only mods i had were CAI and at3030 exhaust, and the truck only had 67,000 miles...
Dodge transmissions suck.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:35 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

When the truck is running, trying shifting through the gears. Does the gear indicator light up and move with the stick? A couple months ago something similar happened to me... the truck would drive, but it took SERIOUS rpms to go anywhere (i was also pulling a 7k lb trailer). The box around the indicator wasnt showing up and i had to guess it was in drive just by the clicks. Turns out it was a blown TCM fuse. I was stuck in 3rd gear, hence the huge rpms to get moving (and a LOT of slippage, causing the trans temp to go wayyyy up).

Check the TCM fuse, and the tranny fluid. Come to think of it, you'd have a CEL as well if it was the TCM fuse. Do you have a CEL or any codes?

Old 03-16-2010, 11:35 PM
05hemi05
Rookie

Originally Posted by Got_Hemi44
Dodge transmissions suck.
yeah ive heard that alot, but damn, i didnt think they were this bad