3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Carr Side Steps

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 01:40 PM
FlexJohnson
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carr Side Steps

Was wondering if anybody here has Carr side steps or ever seen/used them on another truck... I need to put some type of step for the truck because of the lift.. Family/friends are struggling to get in so I need to get some step before they break something... Seems like alot of people are rollin with nerf bars so I want to stay away from them.. Any input would help?? Are they wide enough to step on even with a hunting boot? Are they strong and sturdy?? Easy to install?? etc...

Old 03-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

Hey Flex, where are you in Maryland? The Trick Trucks shop in Edgewater will install a pair of Carr Super Hoop steps for $149. I also do not like nerf bars and am considering some Carr steps. The Super Hoop step is 20" wide, which is plenty large for hunting boots or whatever.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:33 PM
FlexJohnson
Rookie

I live in Northern Montgomery County... Edgewater is probably bout an hour (give or take).. Trick trucks does have 2 locations a lil closer to me than Edgewater.. I will check them out, dont see any reason why the price would be different from one store to another.. Thanks for the help!!!

Old 03-22-2010, 03:37 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

they aren't especially sturdy, I broke both of mine on my old truck within a few months...

Old 03-22-2010, 03:40 PM
SilentRamAD
Veteran

Originally Posted by Joel_MD
Hey Flex, where are you in Maryland? The Trick Trucks shop in Edgewater will install a pair of Carr Super Hoop steps for $149. I also do not like nerf bars and am considering some Carr steps. The Super Hoop step is 20" wide, which is plenty large for hunting boots or whatever.
If you're near that shop, jump on it. I've got the normal width black steps and have had no complaints from friends and family except I put them a few inches too far forward so it's awkward. But after I lift my truck I'm going to switch over to N-Fab's cab length nerf bars that have steps.

On the install the only trouble I ran into was that my drill was a bit too long to get a 90* angle on the holes so it slid a few times but after that it was pretty darn simple.

Name:  PHTO0087.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  27.2 KB
Name:  PHTO0088.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  32.1 KB

Old 03-22-2010, 04:37 PM
FlexJohnson
Rookie

I really want to get the NFAB side steps but Im not dropping that kind of money for them.. Dont want to get plain nerf bars... Carr side steps might be questionable in the durablility column.. Hmmmmmm..... Maybe i will just keep a step stool in the bed of the truck for all these people who are struggling to get in!! I dont know :-l

Old 03-22-2010, 05:29 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or if you want to try a cheap one and convince the guy to ship them to you....

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/1653075326.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/1653077263.html

Old 03-23-2010, 12:14 AM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

I went with the Carrs....

Then went with Westins......

Then took those off! Now I have no steps at all! LOL

Old 03-23-2010, 04:14 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

Originally Posted by 98cherryram
they aren't especially sturdy, I broke both of mine on my old truck within a few months...
How did they break? Did you hit something while off-roading, or just from normal use as a step? Did the actual step break, or was it the mounts? I read an Amazon review that said the mounts are not very sturdy.

Quick Reply: Carr Side Steps