3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Removing orange blinker insert

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 07:15 PM
Ram05guy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing orange blinker insert

Has anyone ever tried to remove the orange plastic piece behind the front headlights off to either side? It looks like it would just pop off after taking off the front cover of the headlight. Is it just a plastic reflector poped in and out?

Thank you!

Chris

Old 05-05-2005, 10:38 PM
ross944
Veteran
Default RE: Removing orange blinker insert

BUMP...anybody know about this? im interested too instead of payin $100 for ones off ebay

Old 05-06-2005, 03:53 AM
sig
Professional

if you can seperate the 2 pieces with a heat gun it may work.i did it once on my rice rocket years ago.usually theres some type of sealant between the lens and housing.
i havent really taken a look at the lights but..... applying the heat aroung the edge where the pieces meet(lens&housing),should soften any sealant(if any)enough to pry the two apart.then
remove yellow reflector,reapply heat and/or more sealant and put the 2 back together.
thats the way it was done on the rice rocket scene.i doubt headlight housing technology has changed that much that this theory wont work.

oh yeah............

i dont have the ***** to try it on my truck.so let me know how it goes.

Old 05-06-2005, 04:32 AM
Avanti
Captain

I've not done the Ram since the one I've ordered hasn't arrived yet. But, I've done other vehicles.

The difficulty and time necessary to do the job varies tremendously. I've done ones with completely sealed side-marker/turn-signals that require an incredible amount of precision work cutting them apart and epoxying back together, but I did it because nothing was commercially available.

A suggestion... if the Ram lights you want are available for the price you state, it's a steal--if the units are "welded" plastic. A heat gun will never separate the typical domestic light without distroying it. That said, patience and care will allow one to do almost any light, if one is determined enough. I'd suggest if you wish to do it yourself, that you get one from a salvage yard on which to experiment/practice.

All the best.

Here's a pic of one of the more difficult I've done. The amber refractor was removed from the left half and replaced with a translucent one because the area behind the original was too ugly.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14944/76181F4BDB60460996B83694F41F69A6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-06-2005, 10:15 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or just do like me and nail an orange road cone at 70. it'll bust it right up[:@]

Old 05-06-2005, 12:48 PM
guido7
Veteran

LOL...drew

Old 05-06-2005, 01:08 PM
DonG
Veteran

I have step by step instructions from a member of another forum, but It's a 15 page pdf document that 1.8meg. Having read them, I think I would buy them already cleared. PM me with your e-mail if you want me to send them.

Old 05-06-2005, 01:12 PM
WingViper
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you guys find clear ones because I've looked and had no luck. What do you search under on Ebay?

Old 05-06-2005, 02:13 PM
DonG
Veteran

ORIGINAL: WingViper

Where did you guys find clear ones because I've looked and had no luck. What do you search under on Ebay?
I don't know about e-bay, but the link below has two versions for $175. I think it's worth the time savings and risk you might need to buy a new headlight anyway if you try to do it yourself.

http://www.x3racing.com/hd_model.asp?md=ram

Old 05-06-2005, 07:59 PM
Ram05guy

Thank you for the all suggestions guys, I appreciate it. Not sure what I am going to do yet, probably buy one from a junk yard and check it out before I buy a set or try it on my own truck. I'll let you guys know what I come up with.

Quick Reply: Removing orange blinker insert