3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

late model rear differential ques.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010 | 10:28 AM
rocket23
|
Champion
Question late model rear differential ques.

Is there a chance that the powers that be, ( the r/d dept at chrysler).have actually addressed the problem of their diffential clips and those pesky "w's" That keep breaking and falling into the guts of the pumpkin. Has newer models been ruined by the same ailkment as the 03's and 04's?
Been wondering for a while now.

Old 04-19-2010 | 10:33 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User

In mid 2005, Chrysler had made a heftier retaining clip that slowed down the problem quite a bit, but to answer your question...NO. The revised clips can still break as they have been since they have revised them.
Only way to avoid the problem is to pull them out or replace the carrier with an open one or an aftermarket one.

Old 04-19-2010 | 10:58 AM
abarmby
Champion

I honestly can't believe, that there hasn't been a law suit against Chrysler over this.
Not only from the standpoint that the diff is obviuosly not fit for purpose, but also when and hopefully it will never happen, a diff totally locks at 70-80 mph and kills a bunch of people.
I do know from other forum posts I've read, that the clips have indeed caused the diff to lock and luckily no serious damage/injury has resulted. But as I said.......PURE luck!
But, as Toyota have recently found out, time will tell.
Speaking of which, I'm surprised no body has taken the Toyota thing on-board and went for Chrysler, over this.
Al.
Al.

Old 04-19-2010 | 12:13 PM
rocket23
|
Champion

I knew my buddy from across the pond would chime in. lol Yes I agree someone should take them too task. We as consumers drive our nations too a better way of life. How can we possibly drive an economy with bad differentials??! I smell class action law suit.lol how are you alarmbie?

Old 04-19-2010 | 12:23 PM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by rocket23
I knew my buddy from across the pond would chime in. lol Yes I agree someone should take them too task. We as consumers drive our nations too a better way of life. How can we possibly drive an economy with bad differentials??! I smell class action law suit.lol how are you alarmbie?
They may have made possibly the worst LSD ever devised yes, but a lawsuit is only gonna make their funding suffer. If you sue them your not gonna get some dinky amount of money because that wouldn't make the company change, the court is gonna ream their *** hole to make a point. Then Dodge ends up goin out of business because their already a struggling company and Fiat could just drop the name and not give a damn.

Old 04-19-2010 | 12:37 PM
rocket23
|
Champion

Uh no not exactly, but your close squire shiloh.Fiat would probably address the problem rather than shut the doors, or ask for a bailout much like daimler did prior too selling off the name brand.But I still like the truck ...

Old 04-19-2010 | 12:46 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User

Actually, part of the bankrupcty filing when Fiat purchased a portion of Chrysler saved them from being sued for prior lawsuits which would actually include things like the rear diffs failing or throttle cables being stuck at WOT(if that were the case)
So, that means the only people that can sue them for the retaining clip failures would be the 2010+ owners even though prior year models would still be covere under warranty if they are within their terms.

Basically, everyone is screwed past that point. Found THIS

Last edited by dirtydog; 04-19-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-19-2010 | 12:52 PM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Actually, part of the bankrupcty filing when Fiat purchased a portion of Chrysler saved them from being sued for prior lawsuits which would actually include things like the rear diffs failing or throttle cables being stuck at WOT(if that were the case)
So, that means the only people that can sue them for the retaining clip failures would be the 2010+ owners even though prior year models would still be covere under warranty if they are within their terms.

Thats lovely, and people wonder why GM is no longer called General Motors but instead Government Motors

Old 04-19-2010 | 12:56 PM
rocket23
|
Champion

Originally Posted by dirtydog

Clearly you are on the ball today! how do you do it? keep up the good work Ddog.

Old 04-19-2010 | 01:19 PM
abarmby
Champion

I guess that's why they call the brand "Dodge"

They have certainly been "Dodging" this issue since at least 2002.

But I still LOVE my truck.

Al.

Last edited by abarmby; 04-19-2010 at 01:24 PM.

Quick Reply: late model rear differential ques.