3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

DIY Front Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010 | 09:31 PM
SilverBullet08
|
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by JoeHemi
I don't see it in the write up but did you clean and re-grease the caliper bolts?
no i didnt they were still greasy
Originally Posted by Matt99
I did it and didnt compress the piston or anything too. It was a biatch, I wish I woulda done it lol. I guess Im going to have to paint my calipers....thanks alot silver, more money down the hole
lol sorry matt

Old 04-23-2010 | 12:57 AM
moparmike01
Professional

nice write up i was at first like wtf remove the cap then read it lol nice tho

Old 04-23-2010 | 12:58 AM
moparmike01
Professional

you needed to change them breaks almost down bear metal

Old 04-23-2010 | 06:18 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

I dont remove my cap either but was wondering something. IF you did overflow, how will you catch it with the bag upside down? ;-)

Old 04-23-2010 | 06:21 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

did you grease your pads? with a ceramic pad grease? very good write up nick...and i have always removed my master cylinder cap ive seen techs do it also the bag is so it doesnt spray not to save it......did you ever get your shackles on?....

Old 04-23-2010 | 08:07 AM
stenerson
Veteran

Nice writeup! I did my front ones along with the rotors this week. My pads looked like
yours. I have to admit though I'm not feeling a noticeable difference in braking.

Old 04-23-2010 | 08:50 AM
blackmamba13
Professional

Hey man thanks for the write-up. I will definitely change my own pads next time. Though I think my rear brakes probably will need it before the fronts. Should the process be similar for the rears you think?

Old 04-23-2010 | 09:10 AM
abarmby
Champion

Caliper slider pins must be checked to make sure they move easily. If they're stuck, excessive pad wear will result.
No brake job is complete unless this is done.

Torque specs.

Front caliper adapter mounting bolts tighten to 176 N·m (130 ft.lbs.)

Rear caliper adapter mounting bolts 135 N·m (100 ft.lbs)

Front caliper slide pin bolts. tighten to 32 N·m (24 ft. lbs.)

Rear caliper mounting slide pin bolts tighten to 15 N·m (11 ft. lbs.).

Re grease caliper slider sleeves with high temp silicone grease.

Hope this helps?
Al.

Old 04-23-2010 | 10:24 AM
SilverBullet08
|
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by weedahoe
I dont remove my cap either but was wondering something. IF you did overflow, how will you catch it with the bag upside down? ;-)
mind did not overflow, refer to step 3
Originally Posted by jusjay727
did you grease your pads? with a ceramic pad grease? very good write up nick...and i have always removed my master cylinder cap ive seen techs do it also the bag is so it doesnt spray not to save it......did you ever get your shackles on?....
yes i greased them with the grease they gave me and have zero sqealing. shackles are getting on this weekend
Originally Posted by stenerson
Nice writeup! I did my front ones along with the rotors this week. My pads looked like
yours. I have to admit though I'm not feeling a noticeable difference in braking.
i can tell that its much smooth to stop but thats maybe just be me
Originally Posted by blackmamba13
Hey man thanks for the write-up. I will definitely change my own pads next time. Though I think my rear brakes probably will need it before the fronts. Should the process be similar for the rears you think?
yea pretty sure the rears will be similar

Old 04-23-2010 | 11:07 AM
03MopaRamman
Captain

I agree with Al on the torque specs.

Good Job though and you don't really need to write a Novel as I am sure this DIY will help someone on their first time who dosn't got a Haynes or Free Download Service Manual. If ever in doubt always do one side at a time so if you get confused you have an opposite example to look at on the assembled side, especially if you need to replace those hidden little parking brake shoes in the back (if rear seals leaking they'll be toast).

From personnal lessons learned it is good to clean and or replace the Bleeder screw on the caliper(s) and dab some anti-seize on re-install as they point upward in a chamfered hole that collects dirt, mud and if you don't bleed em for a couple years your chances of them breaking off next time you loosen them is reduced.

Also although the Caliper mounting bolts are torqued at 130 I put em in with some blue threadlocker (so next time you gotta clean out the threads).

Quick Reply: DIY Front Brake Pads