3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

DIY - Cold Air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010 | 06:49 PM
Got_Mitch
|
Professional
Default DIY - Cold Air intake?

Ive been thinking hard on doing a CAI myself. Ive seen lots of pictures for them, but i havent seen some ones parts list, or DIY guide.

Ive got the main idea down, but its the details im fuzzy on.

3" big enough for air flow, or would 4" be better. what is the OD of the throttle body..

60 degree off TB or a 90deg. The straighter the better right?

What filter, any cone filter at a auto parts store good, or is KN, or other brand names better to go with.

PVC pipe, is there a grade one should look for or is commercial PVC good enough, difference between black pipe vs white, as for grading?

How does one support the system.

Thanks for all input.

Old 05-04-2010 | 07:33 PM
MOPAR78
Veteran

3'' is big enough.
I used 45 off TB. Yes, straighter is better.
My latest are 2 K&N.
PVC 40 is my choice.
Self supportingoff TB.

Name:  100_7235m.jpg
Views: 1059
Size:  60.7 KB

Name:  100_8871.jpg
Views: 2718
Size:  49.3 KB

Old 05-04-2010 | 07:52 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

Yep, I was just shown how to do this last weekend. 3" pvc is good. You'll need a 3" rubber boot to attatch to the throttle body, some pvc pipe and we used 2 90's and a 3 1/2" k&n filter on the end. We left the box where it was and put the filter in it to keep water, etc. from getting sucked in. Also, I'm not sure about '08 but you may have a crankcase vent hose on the air box. We just put a mini filter on it. You will also have an air sensor that's in the hat you'll have to drill a hole for. I found a grommet to fit it and then pvc glued it to the tube. Here's a pic.

cai1.jpg?t=1273016923

Here you can see the sensor on the left side of the cai.

cai5.jpg?t=1273016968

Here's a pic of the 2 90's the straight pipe and the filter setup.

cai4.jpg?t=1273017028

Old 05-04-2010 | 09:00 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Awe hell, alright, come on down, I'll show you too. Just bring the beer...

Old 05-04-2010 | 09:05 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

fukin drunks

Old 05-04-2010 | 09:22 PM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star

Ya sound jealous RH

Go for it OP, its rather simple really. I used 4" pipe with reducer couplings, and kept the stock airbox (only because I had recieved a K&N dropin for Christmas). Seemed at the time to make a slight difference, but now I'm hesitant to believe so. I really need to revamp my setup. I believe these guys answered your questions. Now just grab a $50, run to the hardware store, put your change in your pocket, and get home and get'er done!

Old 05-05-2010 | 02:57 AM
Got_Mitch
|
Professional

ya perfect, thanks for the info. Well If it didnt just dump 3 inchs of snow on my driveway, id be doing it tommorow.

You dont think you felt any gains, not even with a better filter the OEM?

Old 05-05-2010 | 08:08 AM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star

The butt-dyno told me nothing too much happened when I used only the drop-in. I did the cai about a month later, and it 'felt' a little better, a tad stronger, but I personally believe a lot of times the mind wants you to feel a difference, ya know?

Plus, I'm working with the mini-hemi, we see far less gains from these little mods compared to the big guys. AND like I said, mine isn't all that great, so I don't/won't have the best results to compare to.

Over in the 287crew thread in the club section, JusJay has linked a pretty good looking cai, all one piece, polished metal, filter included, for $70. Hard to beat that really, and Jay rants and raves about it. I'll post the link here just for ***** and giggles.

Old 05-05-2010 | 08:59 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4.7Ram5.7Rango
The butt-dyno told me nothing too much happened when I used only the drop-in. I did the cai about a month later, and it 'felt' a little better, a tad stronger, but I personally believe a lot of times the mind wants you to feel a difference, ya know?

Plus, I'm working with the mini-hemi, we see far less gains from these little mods compared to the big guys. AND like I said, mine isn't all that great, so I don't/won't have the best results to compare to.

Over in the 287crew thread in the club section, JusJay has linked a pretty good looking cai, all one piece, polished metal, filter included, for $70. Hard to beat that really, and Jay rants and raves about it. I'll post the link here just for ***** and giggles.

Metal intake tubes = doo doo. I have a nice, purdy, shiny K&N metal tube and it is a megaphone for the EGR valve fluttering open and closed not too mention even by K&Ns own specs, because the metal tubing will hold engine bay heat, the gains are only about 2/3 of what you will see from plastic tubing.

and before anyone says it, yeah I know, I have now made 7 CAIs for other people and I'm still running my 5 year old K&N. Just one of those things I ain't got 'round to yet. I actually wanna re-route mine to free up that side for a second battery, but unless I route it down toward the fender well (Great for cool air, BAD for a 4x4 that sees mud and water at times), I am kinda stuck...

Old 05-05-2010 | 10:11 AM
rocket23
Champion

Coming off the tb I used 45 degree with a 1 foot length of pvc. then 90 degree from there, that gives the perfect angle too the r/s headlamp area, where your cool air comes from btw. I got a spectre oil filter with changeable gaskets. Works fine. I had no issues with water as of yet And I drove in some torrential rain storms and hit some good puddles as well. Just don't go bogging, you will probably be sorry. I also just turned up the rubber part of the oil drain tube and put a 3/4 id. k/n filter there , zip tyied that too the ac tube running across. All in all took me less than 45 minutes and I took my time. Thats the key.

Quick Reply: DIY - Cold Air intake?