3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cruise control problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 07:16 PM
Dojram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control stopped working past 5mph

I'm the original owner of 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi Sport 2WD. It has 148,000 miles on it and still running strong on original spark plugs.
I noticed the cruise control stopped working last Sunday. Would not come on while driving but it will when truck is at complete stop and then it turns itself off after reaching 5mph. No engine light and c-codes appear to indicate problem. Everything is normal.
I looked up for answers here and found some. Anyone here know a way to check speed sensors and abs speed sensors if they are good or not? I don't have fancy electronic tools. Only have voltmeter. Your help and advice would be appreciated.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:42 PM
DodgeFreak51
Default Stumped the dealership

I have the same problem. I have a 2005 Dodge ram SLT 1500 quad cab 5.7l. Hemi and when I set the cruise it works until it hits 44mph. After that it kicks out and will not turn on. I took it to my dealer and they replaced the rear speed sensor which went bad. That didn't fix the problem. They spent 8 hours on it and couldn't find the problem and I am taking it back this week for the electrician to check the harness. The cruise control they thought it might be the pcm. I am not sure. It works until it hits 44mph. Any ideas before I toss money at a problem that isn't the real problem.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:55 PM
thompsonk

My problem was the front wheel speed sensor, which was integral to the hub and could not be replaced by itself. Changing the computer didn't help, it was the sensor.

Good luck.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:44 PM
Mister NCT

I'm a little late to this party but the cruise control on my 2005 Ram 1500 2WD stopped working. I could turn it on at a stop and the light would go out at 5mph. Ended up being the front wheel ABS sensor cable. Since none of my local auto parts stores had one in stock I spliced in a new cable and it works. (Also ordered new sensor from Rock Auto).

Old 03-12-2018, 12:14 PM
Rman57
Default Cruise Control

Originally Posted by rcross29
2005 Ram 1500 (4.7)

I have a problem kind of like this. My cruise works for about 10 minutes or so then quits. I try to turn it back on but have no green light. Now what I do not understand is, when this happens, if I turn the truck off then immediately restart it, I will get the green cruise light.

Anyone else have this problem or know what is causing this?
Have a 07 ram 1500 Cruise quit working, dealer said bad pcm $1000. I thought BS my cruise light would reset every day like the computer was calling for somekind of signal to respond. If I hit the button the cruise light would come on and then shut right back off. Something else the dealer said did not jive with me, the pcm was showing an open circuit within the cruise system!! They have the cruise system tied into everything on these damn trucks. First replaced the switch no go, then the rear ABS censor, no go, now I found out that Dodge has what's called 2 wheel abs and 4 wheel abs. Most 1500 only have 2 wheels abs on the rear axle. So on those trucks you'll only find a speed censor on the left front wheel, apparently that censor is tied into both abs and cruise systems, replaced that, no go. Decided to pull the cruise servo, it's miserable because it's under the battery tray. You'll know if your vacuum is good because when you pull it off the unit you'll hear the vacuum leak off, check that line good, many issues with that vac. Line. Now tore the servo apart found that the #1 plunger appeared to be stuck, my thought was run to the local junk yard to find a good looking servo, they used this same servo on almost all of there vehicles. Found a newer servo made my own mount bracket, under the battery tray is a terrible place for that thing, now it's right out where I can get to it!! Well that pin plunger was stuck, remember the open circuit!! That was it, new servo cruise works great!! To much crap can get into that servo under the battery tray and gum those pin plungers up. I would not doubt that alot of these intermittent cruise issues are because those pin plungers get stuck and send an error code of some sort to the pcm!! Hope this helps someone, good luck!!

Last edited by Rman57; 03-12-2018 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply: Cruise control problem