3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Its the OT-2's fault!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010 | 02:48 PM
AF_HEMI
|
Champion
Default Its the OT-2's fault!!!

As some of you know, i've been battling with electrical gremlins for about a month now. After I installed all my innovate gear, i got a check engine light for "no bus to the MIC" (aka instrument cluster). My battery kept getting drained also. Couldnt figure it out for the life of me. I called Innovate several times and the guy honestly doesnt know two craps about troubleshooting electrical stuff. He's good for telling you about the product, but terrible at giving help when something is wrong (isnt that what tech support is supposed to be good at?)

Anyways, I got a battery charger because it drained my battery down twice. Little did I know, taking a battery to 0% charge destroys it regardless of how new it is. 0% meaning not even enough to power a single LED. so 2 batteries later, i decided to keep it on the charger overnight. i did some trouble shooting and here's what I found:

There is a constant .4-.5 amp drain on the battery when the OT-2 is plugged into the OBDII port. Filipe at Innovate insists this isnt enough drain to kill a battery but he's WAY wrong. When I unplug the OT-2, the drain drops to <.1 (normal). I tried unplugging the OT-2 and driving around, and sure enough the CEL went away. Plugged it back in and the CEL comes on again.

Sorry for the long winded post. Does anyone know how to further solve this issue? You're supposed to be able to leave the OT-2 plugged in all the time. Innovate is being worthless, so i figured i'd come to the real experts. Thanks!

Last edited by AF_HEMI; 06-03-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-03-2010 | 03:27 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

Sounds like a faulty unit.

Old 06-03-2010 | 03:44 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Yep, my guess is a bad cold solder in the unit itself...

Old 06-03-2010 | 03:47 PM
AF_HEMI
|
Champion

ahh finally my constant harassment of filipe is paying off. he just called and said he doesnt really know what else it could be. I was like "well you wanna try sending out another one and see if its the unit? He's sending the RMA number. We'll see if thats it...

Old 06-03-2010 | 05:45 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

It sounds to me like your installing and pulling the electrical short evrytime you remove or install the unit. Hopefully a new one will help you out.

Old 06-03-2010 | 06:08 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Didn't another guy over on DT have a similar problem with electrical gremlins being caused by the innovate units?

Old 06-03-2010 | 06:11 PM
AF_HEMI
|
Champion

There have been a few problems with the OT-1 giving issues. They all dealt with the OT-1 not getting along with the PCM. Their formats didnt match or something. It made all the dash lights go crazy. I'm having a different problem. Mine works great, it just causes a drain.

Old 06-03-2010 | 09:34 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Yeah I had issues with my OT-1 as well as someone else on DT. And you are right, Philipe is pretty much useless

Quick Reply: Its the OT-2's fault!!!