3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Flashpaq/Octane -- Need the experienced on this one

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Nothin'_but_trucks
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashpaq/Octane -- Need the experienced on this one

I was looking at the gas pumps today and noticed a small sticker that said we were using mid-grade gasoline which of course caught my attention since I knew I could upgrade from the 87 octane setting to the 89 ocatane. However, being a military base stuff isn't always what it is made out to be so I called up the NEX and asked them if it was legitimate 89 octane gasoline and was shocked when they told me that it was actually premium 97 octane gasoline that they advertise as mid-grade. Mind you we're sitting at around $3.10 a gallon for this batch.

So I would like to upgrade to the 91 octane on the FP and of course if I hear any pinging just shift it down to the 89 instead. Or should I just play at safe and stay with the 87, possibly going up to 89?

I know we've got some military (hopefully some supply folks) on here but even the civilians could possibly lend a hand. Why sell premium under the mid-grade title?

Last edited by Nothin'_but_trucks; 06-21-2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-21-2010, 04:50 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Dunno about the gas grade, but what specific tune is the "89 octane" tune. That would be "stock" wouldn't it?

To my knowledge there is the max mileage (87), economy (87), towing performance (91) and performance (91) ...

Old 06-21-2010, 04:57 PM
brettj2408
Captain

89 is recommended in hemi's

Old 06-21-2010, 05:00 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by brettj2408
89 is recommended in hemi's

Yeah STOCK! The OP is talking about an 89 Octane setting on his Flashpaq and to my knowledge, there ain't no such tune...

Old 06-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Nothin'_but_trucks
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Dunno about the gas grade, but what specific tune is the "89 octane" tune. That would be "stock" wouldn't it?

To my knowledge there is the max mileage (87), economy (87), towing performance (91) and performance (91) ...
As of three or four weeks ago when I uploaded to the truck on the main display screen mine showed. 87 quick tune, 89 quick tune, 91 performance, mileage xs, and tow/haul.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:06 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is no way that gas is actually 97. I dont know of ANYWHERE that sells 97. 94 is the highest i've seen from pump gas. And its weird they only have one octane.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Nothin'_but_trucks
Professional

Originally Posted by AF_HEMI
there is no way that gas is actually 97. I dont know of ANYWHERE that sells 97. 94 is the highest i've seen from pump gas. And its weird they only have one octane.
Yeah I'm not buying the 97 neither, I'm thinking she just slipped and accidentally said 97 instead of the 91 or 93. The only places I've heard of using 97 is at the drag strip.

The reason we only have one octane is that the base buys its gas in bulk shipments and has it barged in so it would be way to costly to barge in three different octanes. We get two or three batches of gas a year. So it does make sense that they would use a mid-grade so that those with high end vehicles would still be able to drive without to much complaining however for them to get premium seems a little far fetched to me but I checked with the NEX purchaser and the NEX director and both said that it was premium.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:50 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

you must be talkin about gas at GTMO lol. That makes sense i guess.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Nothin'_but_trucks
Professional

First and foremost, Hammer, you were 100% correct. After I finished up from work I plugged in the tuner and guess what I saw...Stock, 87 octane, 91 performance, Mileage, and Towing. So I apologize.

Second, good news guys, turns out they weren't BS'n when they said we've got premium gas. I uploaded the 91 performance tune reved her up, took her out for a little drive, took her up one of out steepest hills and not a single ping, I even down graded back to the 87 octane and repeated the test to compare .

AF, hell if they were being serious about it being premium. I guess it could, possibly, might be, possible that it is in fact 97 octane. I'm gonna try to see if they've got a quality assurance sheet or something from who ever their supplier is and see if it specifies the octane rating.

I know not much was said on here but thanks anyways. I've become a very happy camper

Old 06-21-2010, 07:59 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion

Anyone I've ever known thats been using the 87 tune (for whatever crazy reason, usually to save gas), then switch to the 91 tune wish they hadnt wasted all that time and gas on the 87 tune. The 91 tune has MUCH more power and proven better fuel economy than the 87. Superchips shouldnt even offer the 87 tune. its worthless.

you're just another one in the crowd who's learned this lesson and is now a happy camper.

Quick Reply: Flashpaq/Octane -- Need the experienced on this one