3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Motor Swap Advice - first time engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 11:25 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hotter cam, 6.1 springs and pushrods. 06 and later coil conversion. Headers.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:44 AM
BobConley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just swapped my old engine with 158,768 miles for a like new both '03. I used square plastic ziploc containers that I had from an old factory job and put the bolts from different parts in there and used masking tape to label. That made it super easy when putting things back together.

If you have a/c you'll want to get that discharged before you start. I drained the cooling system and then just moved the tranny cooler out of the way. The manual I have said you don't have to remove the a/c lines, but I took out all the coolers in the front of the truck for more room and took the top crossbar off to make it easier to pull the engine.

In the manual I have it also said to pull the engine up and out of the cradle like mounts, but I just took off the 8 bolts for the engine mounts right off the engine block and it made it so the engine kinda slid forward to separate it from the transmission and found that a lot easier. There are 4 on each side, with 2 in front and 2 behind the cradle like mounts.

This is a good time to check your hoses when you have the engine out and also put in new plugs and torque them to spec on the new engine while it is out so it is a lot easier to work on the spark plugs that way. You may also want to check the torque on your knock sensors while the engine is out of the truck so they are easy to get to. There should be one on each side on the lower half of the block.

Also you might want to mark your hood so it is a little easier to line it up when you go to put it back on. Take your time and don't get frustrated, if you do, just take a break and gather your thoughts and go back at it.

Last edited by BobConley; 06-29-2010 at 03:47 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:27 AM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can move the A/C compressor out of the way if you don't want to bother with getting the system sucked down. If it doesn't work, then you'll want it sucked down for repairs anyway.

Old 12-01-2021, 02:10 PM
Loganizer
Default I need some help in way over my head

I have a 2003 lifted big horn with a manual 4.7 motor bought a 2003 bighorn with a 4.7 auto to put in my truck my problem is the tranny from my truck won't seem to bolt up is there a adapter I can buy to make this work any help is greatly appreciated and needed

Old 12-01-2021, 05:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Same year, same engine, it should bolt right up. What seems to be the issue?

Old 12-02-2021, 04:48 AM
Loganizer

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Same year, same engine, it should bolt right up. What seems to be the issue?
the new motor was a automatic transmission and my truck is a manual transmission and the first problem I had was the driverside motor mount were different for each motor so the bellhousing was hitting the motormount bracket stopping it from being able to bolt up by about a inch so once I sorted that out it was maybe I should take some pics I'm not the best when it comes to explaining this

Old 12-02-2021, 08:01 AM
Magnoom
Record Breaker
Received 222 Likes on 202 Posts

Crank (pilot) bushing.

Quick Reply: Motor Swap Advice - first time engine swap