3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

TCM code p0700 transmission control module

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 01:30 PM
blacktop
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCM code p0700 transmission control module

I recently started having problems with my tranny. I was at a light and out of nowhere the tranny decides to shift from 1st to 3rd? 4th? then it would only start out in 3rd or 4th. The lower gears aren't working. The computer threw a code of p0700 which is the transmission control module. I have been reading that this code is kind of generic because it can be one of many sensors the TCM uses or a few other things.

I dropped the tranny pan changed both filters and tranny fluid in the pan put it all back together and everything worked great. The tranny even felt like it shifted better than before.

Now about 1 month later the same problem has come back. I really don't want to bring my truck to the dealer and am capable of doing most work myself. I checked all wire connectors at the tranny.

Do they make a reader for our tranny's TCM or is there a way to pull the codes from It?
Can anyone give me some direction? If I have to replace this crappy tranny Im converting to stick. Thanks.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:41 PM
jim swanson

is it possible to go from auto tranny to stick sounds like a winner to me if it is possible

Old 07-12-2010, 01:21 AM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is possible to convert to stick..

but to the OP... how did you read your codes and how did you clear the code? the P0700 is a generic tranny trouble code, which is displayed when your tranny goes into "limp mode". limp mode is when you only have 1 maybe 2 gears left, and its just enough to limp somewhere to get it fixed.

a good OBDII scanner should pull any addition codes along with the P0700. if you want to get really in depth with scanning codes, and watching data, you could get the DRBIII scan tool, but thats like $8000.

anyways, a number of things could be going wrong.. bad/low fluid. TCM problems, TRS connection or wiring harness going bad, solenoid pack going bad, or clutches going bad.

thats one of the many bad things about a fully electronic transmission.. you have to have high end, expensive tools to diagnose a lot of problems with them. which forces most people to have to go to a shop.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:50 AM
blacktop
Rookie

I used a scanner and got the rest of the codes. P0841 - pressure sender switch A circuit range/ performance......P0736 reverse incorrect ratio(I was told this is because input shaft speed isn't matching output shaft). I'm going to check the pressure sensor and solenoid. I'll also check the valve body for cracks? These codes seem generic too.

Last edited by blacktop; 07-12-2010 at 05:54 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:00 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in my case, and a couple other cases ive seen/read about.... that incorrect ratio code normally means bad or burnt clutches.

but, that pressure sender switch code just sounds like either a bad sensor, or a solenoid. which might also be causing your incorrect ratio code.

id say try a new line pressure sensor. its located at the rear passenger side of the tranny. they cost something like $18-$20.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:07 PM
brettj2408
Captain

incorrect ratio is usually caused by slipping clutches. did you feel slippage at all before it went to limp?

Old 07-12-2010, 05:09 PM
brettj2408
Captain

Input or output speed sensor errors
low fluid level
cut l/r tower seal on main valve body
cut l/r clutch piston seals
broken or missing l/r clutch bleed orifice (in l/r clutch retainer)
cut l/r accumulator piston seal in main valve body
cracked l/r accumulator piston in main valve bodycut od/rev piston seals
broken or missing od/rev bleed orifice (in od/rev clutch piston)
broken reverse carrier hub weld
broken reverse sun gear weld to the reaction carrier

Old 07-12-2010, 07:33 PM
blacktop
Rookie

Originally Posted by OlDirtyJohn
in my case, and a couple other cases ive seen/read about.... that incorrect ratio code normally means bad or burnt clutches.

but, that pressure sender switch code just sounds like either a bad sensor, or a solenoid. which might also be causing your incorrect ratio code.

id say try a new line pressure sensor. its located at the rear passenger side of the tranny. they cost something like $18-$20.
Is the pressure sensor a dealer item?

Old 07-12-2010, 07:38 PM
blacktop
Rookie

The tranny never showed and signs of slipping and still shifts and pulls like normal for the first 1/4 mile then it craps out. It will start out in 2nd gear if I have it in 2 or 1 but if i put it in D then it wants to start in 4th. Over drive isn't working.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:55 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Can your scanner perform a clutch test on the transmission? And ck CVI's? A clutch test will let you know if the clutches are slipping or a broken hard part.The reason the transmission is starting in a higher gear range is because the trans is in limp-in mode or fail safe.

Quick Reply: TCM code p0700 transmission control module