3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I PowerBrake, computer derates Motor, Help !

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010 | 10:09 PM
Pilotdriver
|
Angry I PowerBrake, computer derates Motor, Help !

I powerbrake my truck on job sites but the computer decides that the use of 2 pedals iss a problem and derates the hemi down to junk running status and disables the crusie control too. When the code is cleared and the truck is started run and shut down for extended periods, several hours minimum then the truck will run fine. Until I get on another job site and control the truck by power braking and this starts all over. Can this 2 pedal detection by the computer be shut off with a programmer?

thx

Old 07-24-2010 | 12:13 AM
badblackram06
Veteran

Sounds like your truck is going into limp mode.. What model is your truck? What is the exact code that it is throwing? That may tell you whats wrong and why its going into limp mode. I'm sorry but i don't quite understand why you are power braking your truck? You say control the truck by power braking? Please explain.

I've always known power braking to be burning out, roasting the tires on the pavement, that sorta thing.

Old 07-24-2010 | 09:05 AM
Pilotdriver
|

the truck is an 04 2wd Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi/ automatic. with 4.10 gears. I don't have the code number but the dealer said when both the brake pedal and gas pedal are used the computer considers that a problem has occurred. And yes power braking is Old school and used for "burnouts" but it can be used to control the truck and have it move very smoothly in less than ideal traction conditions where you don't want to damage the driveline by any jerking motion or loss of traction. like I mentioned I do this on huge job sites that are dirt and gravel laydown yards where things like burms and curbs have been built that i need to get over without damaging them or my truck. the hemi's throttle response is so quick that it's almost impossible to control the tire spin in these conditions without the braking. Not doing this on pavement or for show, it' only done as a necessity. "Limp" mode describes it to a T , Dodge tech didn't mention the code number, just what it was doing.
THX

Old 07-24-2010 | 09:28 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User

I've never even tried it with my truck but others have posted up doing powerbrake vidoe's????
If i could make a suggestion....Try pulling your ABS fuse and see if that doesn't solve the problem. Worth a shot anyways. i believe most Rams only have rear wheel ABS which is effin useless IMO unless your towing.

Old 07-24-2010 | 12:36 PM
Marx
Record Breaker

why don't you use second gear

Old 07-24-2010 | 03:53 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator

As a safety feature for the drive-by-wire, the brake pedal is supposed to override the gas pedal. But I think only if the vehicle is moving. Something that Toyota didn't program into the Camry hence the runaway vehicles!!

Quick Reply: I PowerBrake, computer derates Motor, Help !