3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

annoying bump steering wobble on my 2wd ram

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 03:21 PM
badblackram06
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default annoying bump steering wobble on my 2wd ram

This has been a annoyance since i've bought my truck new. I can go over a small bump and the steering wheel will wobble slightly. Bad part is, if i'm in a the slightest curve and i hit a bump in the road the steering wheel will jerk and the truck will swerve a little. I just always figured it was caused by the wide tires on the stock 20's. I just hope its not the rack and pinion. Since i've bought it i've lowered it and put new tires on, same width but one size smaller. After lowering and new tires it helped for a few days but it has gradually became worse. Today it was the worst but the road i took has became neglected too. I have to travel these kind of roads everyday to go to work and its about to drive me crazy. Who else has had this problem on the 2wd's with the stock 20's? Is it possible for me to put a steering stabilizer on to smooth out the bump steer? Do they even make a mounting kit for the 2wd rams? I tried calling around to our distributors at work to see if they made one but they were all closed today.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:25 PM
bgbluram2
All Star

From what I remember this was a common problem on the 3rd Gen rams when they first came out. I just figured they had fixed it as I have never experienced the bump steer with my new truck. My 03 had it pretty bad when going over RR tracks or potholes.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:04 PM
badblackram06
Veteran

Ah, yeah its crazy bad over RR tracks and sometimes over bridges. especially where the bridge is lower than the highway.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:39 PM
brettj2408
Captain

could be because of an unloaded bed, worn shocks, tie rods, ball joints, etc.
check your front end for wear

Old 07-31-2010, 06:57 PM
badblackram06
Veteran

Didnt know an unloaded bed could cause the front end to wobble but I did just take off my hitch so i could put on my roll pan and that thing had to weigh at least 100 pounds. Maybe thats causing some of it.. I also had the front end checked about 3 months back but i'll get it rechecked. Thanks

Old 07-31-2010, 10:07 PM
Matt99
Champion

mine does that bad also, 07 so same front end...its rediculous if you are in a turn on a heavily driven highway with ruts and all, i did it in the rain one time and got almost sideways

i just kinda learned to brake and go slow over bumps, if there is a fix I would love to know

and i think the stabilizer only works on 3/4ton and up

Old 08-01-2010, 09:25 PM
jasonprox700

I have an 04 1/2 ton Hemi Quad Cab with 76000 on it. I've been dealing with this same problem for a couple of years. I've checked out the ball joints, tie rods, everything. I finally ordered some new shocks to see if that will help. I figured it needed it anyway, so I'll see if it helps. I had a wheel alignment done also. That helped a little, but still not good.

I'll be heading to Idaho here in another month (20 hours of driving), so I really want to get it fixed. Even the cracks in the asphault of the interstate cause the track to hop around. A rough back road, forget about it! 30 miles per hour is pushing it.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:46 PM
luckydt
Veteran

He guys i know it started with a 2wd truck post, but my truck is lifted with an upgraded steering stablizer and i have no problems with bumps or rr tracks. My lift is a 6" suspension lift from BDS with upgrades leafs in the back instead of blocks and as stated stablizer bars replaced with BDS ones. I am running 35" nitto trail grapplers. I know mine is 4wd, but atleast maybe some more can put some input if the lifted trucks with the stablizers replaced were able to get rid of the problem.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:03 PM
xtremekramer
Rookie

My 4x4 08 quadcab has done that pretty much since the day i took it home. I mainly notice it on bridges. Kinda just figured it was something i would have to deal with. You are quite right about how bad it is when it happens in curves. Thought i was going off the road one time. Be curious if there really is a fix for it.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:09 PM
bgbluram2
All Star

If I remember correctly, I think a few years ago (before this forum was updated) there was a thread about this, and most people found the fix to be better shock absorbers.. I think the Bilsteins were the shocks that everyone was upgrading to in order to fix this problem. I will try and see if I can find the post if it still exists after the change.

Quick Reply: annoying bump steering wobble on my 2wd ram