3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

"Death Wobble" - Did Steering Box Stabilizer help or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 12:24 PM
bbeamer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Death Wobble" - Did Steering Box Stabilizer help or not?

I want to know from people who installed the Steering Box Stabilizer if this cured the problem of "Death Wobble" or not.

I've got a 2006 2500 that can re-arrange the fillings in my mouth if I hit a bump at freeway speeds.

I've read the expert articles, common problems posts, and everything in between. I know it's not ball joints, steering stabilizers, rotors, tie rod ends, etc. Looks like it has to be the steering box stabilizer.

So all of that to say, has it helped or not for those of you who have installed it?

Thanks.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:06 PM
dragracer98
Rookie

i just installed one on mine. it didn't eliminate it totally but its now only happening between 40-50 mph. I've got a couple worn parts that i'm going to fix and hopefully that will take care of it. Dodge has dropped the ball on these trucks i've had several SFA trucks all being dodges with worn out front end parts and the only adverse effect i've ever seen is wandering and/or play in the steering wheel.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:50 AM
bbeamer

Originally Posted by dragracer98
i just installed one on mine. it didn't eliminate it totally but its now only happening between 40-50 mph. snip...
Thanks for the reply dragracer98.

I'm surprised that you are the only one to reply so far. With as many posts about this problem I was sure I was gong to get more answers.

So, you only get the wobble between 40-50, what about any faster speeds, no problems? Any problems at freeway speeds like 55-65 or higher? That's the only time I've experienced any significant wobble, after hitting a bump at 60+.

Guess I'm going to order the stabilizer and see what comes of it.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spoke with my father who has first hand experience with the DW. He USED to own a dealership (back in the 90's) and according to him, tires are also a major factor. Unfortunately they are expensive to 'test'.

What size tires do you have? Are they oversized? Do they have the correct rating?

Old 08-18-2010, 10:57 AM
dragracer98
Rookie

i haven't had any problems at any speeds other than 40-50. Have you tried playing with you camber settings. This really changed my truck as well. I recently went to Atlanta and back on my truck after I put the SBS on and didn't have a problem, about a 300 mile round trip for me and mostly all interstate speeds.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:32 PM
SilverHemiDan
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cthulhu
I spoke with my father who has first hand experience with the DW. He USED to own a dealership (back in the 90's) and according to him, tires are also a major factor. Unfortunately they are expensive to 'test'.

What size tires do you have? Are they oversized? Do they have the correct rating?

X2....I got ride of my DW,by getting new tires and an aftermarket steering stabilizer
I have since added a SBS,it tightened up the steering some.I do not believe it will fix the DW

Last edited by SilverHemiDan; 08-18-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:15 AM
formguy
Rookie

I'm having the same troubles with mine. The control arm bushings(or whatever they call the four links that hold the SFA in place) are wasted. The track bar bushings are gone too. As soon as I get paid for the job I am about to finish I'll be calling www.topgunzcustoms.com for the parts. They are way cheaper than stock and greasable to boot. I have a leveling kit in my truck and they will custom make the control arms to the correct length for $239. The track bar they sell is much more heavy duty than stock as well.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:07 AM
bbeamer

O.K. I installed the Steering Box Stabilizer and not much change. In fact I got the problem on a portion of highway I never experienced it on before.

I like the steering feel now but it didn't help with the shaking after hitting a bump. Everything is orignal on the truck, other than tires but they are the original size, nothing upgraded and just over 65000 miles on the truck.

Looks like the next options are upgraded steering stabilizers and the camber settings. I have seen two different articles on the settings, one says camber the other caster. From what I see the the caster settings are adjustable but how has anyone adjusted camber on these trucks without replacing the ball joints?

Old 08-23-2010, 10:02 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

As a 1500 owner, I obviously do not have the problem, however I do personally know two people who have the steering box stabilizer (one I helped with the install).

The guy I helped had recently had about ALL the front end components replaced by the dealer (at considerable $$$), and it only got marginally better. The steering box made a night/day difference, DW is almost completely gone.

The other guy ONLY did the stabilizer and it improved, but definitely did not completely resolve the issue although he does say he feels "safer" driving now. Unfortunately it appears that if ONE component is worn/weak, the issue will still persist to some degree...

Old 08-23-2010, 07:10 PM
SilverHemiDan
Rookie

Originally Posted by bbeamer
O.K. I installed the Steering Box Stabilizer and not much change. In fact I got the problem on a portion of highway I never experienced it on before.

I like the steering feel now but it didn't help with the shaking after hitting a bump. Everything is orignal on the truck, other than tires but they are the original size, nothing upgraded and just over 65000 miles on the truck.

Looks like the next options are upgraded steering stabilizers and the camber settings. I have seen two different articles on the settings, one says camber the other caster. From what I see the the caster settings are adjustable but how has anyone adjusted camber on these trucks without replacing the ball joints?

what brand tires are you running,and how many miles are on them?

Quick Reply: "Death Wobble" - Did Steering Box Stabilizer help or not?