3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

projector LED headlights help

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 08:18 PM
luckydt
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question projector LED headlights help

Name:  DSC00495.jpg
Views: 1605
Size:  207.8 KBI have had the projector headlights since i owned the truck with only one problem. On the bottom of them they have a row of about 5 LED lights that should light up, well guess what? i have never been able to get them to work. After reading some post im thinking i may need to hook up some type of resistor. Please any ideas would be appreciated as it's just something that bothers me.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there should be a + and - for the led set just wire them to your parking lights no resistor required

Old 08-14-2010, 10:38 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

They are polarity driven BTW. They also are replaceable if they are burnt out

Old 08-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Matt99
Champion

Yea my buddy has those same lights and has them wired to come on with ignition...and his are also changed out to red (pretty cool)

Old 08-14-2010, 06:58 PM
badblackram06
Veteran

Test the positive wire to see if you are getting power all the way to where the leds go into the headlight. Make sure you have the wires hooked up right. Like weed said they are polarity driven so they will only work one way. If you suspect the bulbs you can just pull them out. I think they are held in by a rubber grommet and the bulb is inside the rubber. Thats how mine were when i had my projectors in.

Last edited by badblackram06; 08-14-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:40 PM
luckydt
Veteran

see this is my second set of these headlights and i have tried to hook them up both ways and either way all that happens is i blow a fuse. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong, but something is not right. I have a spare one that i might saw threw it and see how these wires are hooked up in side.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:25 PM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luckydt
see this is my second set of these headlights and i have tried to hook them up both ways and either way all that happens is i blow a fuse. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong, but something is not right. I have a spare one that i might saw threw it and see how these wires are hooked up in side.
what wires are you hooking them too? what fuse blows?

Old 08-15-2010, 11:27 PM
badblackram06
Veteran

Something definitely isnt right. LEDs dont usually blow a fuse. I believe on my projector headlights the leds have a small box on the wires, not exactly sure what it is. Does your set have the small box. If all else fails try hooking the wires straight to the battery to see if they come on.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:49 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

When I had my projector lights like those, all the LEDs had red and black wires. So all the reds were tied together and all the blacks were tied together. Obviously the reds were (+).

I would like to know what color your wires are and also what fuse you are blowing as well as how you are connecting them and to what wires.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:44 PM
luckydt
Veteran

well i have figured something out tonight. I cut open the broken one i had to discover one of my healight connections is tide into the black and red wire that turns on the halo and LED bulbs. I have take pictures of the back side of new headlight and the one i cut open.
Name:  IMAG0109.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  94.7 KB

The connection to the right of the of the black and red wires coming out is my headlight connection and is also black and red wire when you tear it open. If you take the headlight assemble over to a battery and just touch the black to neg and red to pos with nothing else connected the halo's and LED's turn on. However, once you plug in the headlight connection this is when i start blowing fuses. I know it polarity driven and have tried flipping it both ways and i just keep blowing fuses. i have been trying to hook up to the running light wires and that 15 amp fuse is the one i am blowing.

Name:  IMAG0105.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  150.7 KB

Name:  IMAG0106.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  170.8 KB

you can see where the red and black wires are cut they use to connect together got a little carried away when i was cutting it open.

Name:  IMAG0107.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  78.5 KB

Last edited by luckydt; 08-16-2010 at 09:53 PM.

Quick Reply: projector LED headlights help