3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

newbie 45RFE tranny woes HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 06:43 PM
rs182
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quick question. My buddy at the tranny shop said he could get to the volume 4c pack from the rear by taking off the t case and adapter without taking out the transmission. Does that sound right?

got me worried

Old 08-15-2010, 12:16 AM
rs182

bump for being worried

Old 08-15-2010, 06:32 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

I have always gone the the front of the transmission,The only transmission that i took the rear off of was the 46,47 and 48RE transmission.So my anwser would be the same as yours.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:12 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Why not drop and rebuild the entire thing. Rebuilding only one part of it sounds like a sure way to have it back down soon when something else gives out on it. All of the internals have the same mileage on them so why not replace them all why you are in there?

I would

Old 08-17-2010, 10:38 AM
rs182

That what it looks like is going to happpen. We pulled the pan and it was full of red milk. The trans cooler in the radiator must have sprung a leak and i got anit freeze in threre. Taking the tranny to the shop this morning for a overhaul. Thanks everyone for all your help

Old 02-01-2011, 11:13 AM
rs182

Bump for more tranny trouble.
Back story.....I had the transmission completely overhauled with new T/C. I drove it around for 5 months putting 8k miles on it. I did end up replacing the solenoid pack after it went to limp mode for the pressure switch. After that it shifted fine I was very happy with it. The only problem it had was it showed a code for a low #4 clutch volume even after the rebuild and computer reset.

A few weeks ago I came to a stop and the truck shuttered and did not want to move under light throttle. I gave it a little more and it started moving and shifted fine the rest of the day. Two days later it did it again but when I applied more throttle it started to slip. I drove it across the intersection and it would not move at all. I called the tranny guy (its under warranty still) and I brought it in. He has yet to take it apart but he is telling me I cannot pull ANYTHING with it (I pulled a 71 bronco on a car hauler and a 98 camaro on a dolly and it seemed to do just fine) and it a light weight piece of crap tranny because it has no bands and only clutch packs that it cant handle even a camaro on a car dolly.

The 45rfe is the same tranny they use behind the hemi right? (only with the 5 speed reflash?) I think he is just trying to cover his ***. He has built a few transmissions for friends of mine and has a good rep. around town so I dont know what to think.

The tow capacity for the 4.7 with 45rfe is 6K I think a little pulling should be just fine. What do you guys think? is he incompetent or covering his ***? I would just take it somewhere else but is it warranted under him

Old 02-01-2011, 11:27 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I wold let him replace it but as for pulling something, maybe he isnt using quality parts or build quality isnt good.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:33 AM
rs182

That kind of what I am thinking. I may see if he will let me buy aftermarket clutches and split it with me

Quick Reply: newbie 45RFE tranny woes HELP!!