3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

water leak problem AGAIN!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 10:39 PM
bigjad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry water leak problem AGAIN!!!!

This is bull**** I tells ya! First let me start by saying I have a 2008 Ram Bighorn with only 10000 miles on it(just turned the other day) My storage well under the back seat was soaked after a big rainstorm,and i noticed that the channel that my sliding back window slides in (the one with the metal cables in it) was filled with water. I took it in to the dealership AGAIN (this was the 5th time for water leaks from my back window) and they told me that the drain holes in this channel were clogged!? So they said they blew them out and water tested it and it was fine.When I got home ,I ran a hose over the back window and guesswhat THEY FILLED UP AND LEAKED INTO MY TRUCK WITHIN A MINUTE!! So back in I go for the 6th time. The dealer claimes that its normal for water to get into that channel due to the fact that the window is a slider and the gaskets/weather stripping is only so tight,thats why there are drain holes.Has anyone else noticed water in their channels?I have had leaks comming from above the headliner and running down the rear windowalso.They have sealed my roof seams,sealed my c-pillar seams,replaced and sealed my third brake light,pulled the rear window and resealed it, and replaced the rear window.I tried to take off/pull my third brake light to check to see if there was a hole or not behind it,but when the dealer replace it and sealed it,what ever they used sealed it completely to my truck that now It wont come off.I asked the dealer about this and was told that chrysler instructed them to completly seal the light like this on all dodge rams my model year that come in with this problem.So now after the holiday I am calling chrysler and informing them That I plan on invoking the lemon law due to the fact that within the first year alone, I had this truck in 4 times for the water leaking in the back window. Sorry about the lenght of my post just need some answers/solutions/suggestions from some people I know would care. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Old 09-03-2010, 10:53 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't know why they would glue the brake light to the truck. I removed mine, ran a bead of clear windshield sealer around the outer white gasket, let it set up, then reinstalled the light. No more leaks.
I haven't heard of any waterpump problems. What engine do you have? Is it leking from the shaft or gasket?

Old 09-04-2010, 04:40 AM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take the headliner out and see where the water is coming in

Old 09-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Matt99
Champion

mine did it and I ran a bead of rtv around the 3rd brake light gasket...no more water

Old 09-04-2010, 12:30 PM
bigjad

how about the water in the sliding glass channel and the so called drains?

Old 09-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Matt99
Champion

I think it's getting there from the water dripping down from the brake light

Old 09-04-2010, 09:24 PM
rcman0056
Professional

Single cab: Had the water running down the window and into the tool bin. 3rd brake light and RTV worked fine. They probably glued your brake light incorrectly because they made one of the interns do it.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:12 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

My 3rd leaked once but after tightening back down it never leaked again

Old 09-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Amateur

BigJad, I have the same problem with a 2007 5.7 QD 4X4. Tate dodge in Maryland has done all the same repairs that you have mentioned to mine as well except a new window. Well, after about 2 1/2 weeks it is raining in Maryland again today and I went out to check to see if it was leaking after the last remove and reseal job done in Aug and the tool bin is filled with about 3/4" of water. Well, I guess it will fill up again and I will be off to the dealer in the AM to show them the leak.

Sorry, that I don't have an answer for you but at least you know it is happening to others as well.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:09 PM
badblackram06
Veteran

What you can do to find the leak is turn your a/c on max. Make sure all the doors and windows are shut. Take a soapy water mix and spray down the back glass and third brake light. If any bubbles pop up thats where your leak may be.

I also had a leaking 3rd brake light on my 06. I pulled it off and stuck some butyl rubber all around the hole and tightened it back up. It hasn't leaked since.
I cant believe they would just seal it up like that. I mean what are you going to do when your 3rd brake light bulb or cargo lights burn out? I would definitely push the lemon law because not only the fact the back glass, or whatever it may be, is leaking but the water leaking in is ruining your interior. Good luck and i hope you get it all sorted out.

Quick Reply: water leak problem AGAIN!!!!