3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New guy here. Advice please!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Steve/06 Hemi
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy here. Advice please!!

I just bought a 2006 ram 1500 with the HEMI. I put a K&N filter in it that i already had,changed the oil and filter (royal purple) and installed some NGK IRIDIUM sparkplugs not because i thought i would get better performance out of them but because i NEVER want to do it again!!!(not really that bad) But my question is what are the best bang for your buck mods that have the most results? I wanted to know how much difference putting a CAI,changing mufflers and maybe a reprogrammer would really make.Oh ya i love the truck i just like making things better that's the fun part.THANKS

Old 10-03-2010, 09:49 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

You should search on all of the topics....you are going to get as many opinions as there are members!

Most people like Magnaflow mufflers. The CAIs vary from everyone!! Programmers seem to help a lot, from what I have read. DO NOT get the throttle body spacer - - - - useless!!

Gears are a good upgrade as well. You may have 3.92s already, but a lot of guys go with 4.10 or 4.56 gears for some added pep.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Steve/06 Hemi
Professional

thanks,i'm just trying to get as much information as i can from people who have done the things i'm thinking about doing.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:39 PM
hemi_pwr

as stated above the answers will vary greatly. I have flowmaster 50 series HD catback exhaust, airaid MIT tube intake, superchips programmer, k&n drop in filter, and a power wire. Performance wise with the butt dyno there is a noticeable difference.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:17 AM
bartvandenberg
Professional

Originally Posted by Steve/06 Hemi
I just bought a 2006 ram 1500 with the HEMI. I put a K&N filter in it that i already had,changed the oil and filter (royal purple) and installed some NGK IRIDIUM sparkplugs not because i thought i would get better performance out of them but because i NEVER want to do it again!!!(not really that bad) But my question is what are the best bang for your buck mods that have the most results? I wanted to know how much difference putting a CAI,changing mufflers and maybe a reprogrammer would really make.Oh ya i love the truck i just like making things better that's the fun part.THANKS

First 3 mods..... Better flow in (CAI) Better flow out (magnaflow full exhaust) and a superchips programmer with the transmission tune.

Myself, I didnt notice much from my intake (K&N CAI) or full mangaflow (other than pretty good sound) but my tranny tune from my programmer was my biggest upgrade I think.....oh.. and changing my shift points.

A lot of guys are putting e-fans on as well, which might gain you a little bit as well.

The next mods you do are gonna cost a lot more. I myself am not spending any more money on performance for my truck until i find that supercharger. little mod here... little mod there.... 1k here, 1k there. Might as well save up for the big HP, instead of measly little 5hp bumps.

(but thats just MY opinion)

Old 10-04-2010, 08:25 AM
bartvandenberg
Professional

Originally Posted by 08RamMan
DO NOT get the throttle body spacer - - - - useless!!

I dont know about useless, just not a noticeable HP gain like some think.

they apparantly only help with the overfueling of the hemi's, and some people say they help.

With that said, I wouldn't put one in my truck if it wasnt already installed when i bought it

Old 10-04-2010, 09:05 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Please take some time out to go through our 3rd Gen Ram FAQs as most of everything you ask is in there.

As for my opinion? A tuner, CAI, Power wire and Sonnax wire

Welcome to the board BTW.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Steve/06 Hemi
Professional

Thanks for the advice. Just ordered the CAI today(K&N) well see. I think the programmer will be the next purchase seems to do the most from what everyone says. I just need to be patient and do one thing at a time(not my strong point).

Old 10-04-2010, 06:29 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

opening up that intake your next should be opening the exit, cherry bombs are inexpensive on amazon, and yes yes yes on a superchips but def buy the trans tune feature and read up on how to use it, youll benefit from it greatly, and bart its a proven fact tb spacers do nothing on our trucks....electronic fuel injection, maybe on older carbed engines yeah but on ours no....

Old 10-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Steve/06 Hemi
Professional

just trying to figure out which programmer to get (part number) any suggestions would be great!!!

Quick Reply: New guy here. Advice please!!